Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dcclerk is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by spunkybaby View Post

The seventh floor apparently has high ceilings and lots of light in the morning. We requested the sixth floor so that we could sleep in.

HTH!
    This is absolutely true. Even though we live in LA, we stayed at the Hojo for my DD1's birthday (although it was quite a bit more than $79!), so that we could spend more than our usual 6 hours at Disneyland. We had reserved the premium rooms, and I know they upgraded us to the best they had-- 7th floor with vaulted ceilings. The problem was that you could block the skylights and it was as bright as day in their during nap time. Finally, I called and had our room changed so that DD2 could take her nap. The room was the same layout, but it had the standard <8' ceiling.

We watched the fireworks from our beds in the room, and though it was partially blocked by the trees, the kids thought it was absolutely spectacular. There is something pretty cool about getting to do that.

Funny thing, but the highlight of this last year for my kids was the stay at the Hojo. They have stayed in MUCH nicer hotels, but from their perspective, this was about as good as it gets. And, really, getting to see fireworks from your bed, being so close as to walk to Disneyland, and to play at a pirate pool that had slides and a huge dunking area is about as good as it gets. Who cares if the towels are scratchy, the shampoo harsh, and the tile quite the throwback?! My DH and I both agreed that we need to keep this in mind for future vacations. Sometimes **I** need some more creature comforts, but sometimes, nothing else matters but a kickass pool area

Great post and tips. Thanks. It has be searching for availability of HoJo rooms and frequent flyer flights. The HoJo sounds great, near a Starbucks too. The actual Disneyland resort hotels all sound like they have problems with cleanliness, service, etc., even the Grand Californian, and for the insane prices they should be top notch. The Sanka only, no real coffee is pretty much a deal breaker too.

It looks like the Minnie Breakfast is the only character breakfast at Disneyland, does anyone know if this is right? I have the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland on its way from amazon but am obsessing right now after reading your tips!

Thanks!

spunkybaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Great post and tips. Thanks. It has be searching for availability of HoJo rooms and frequent flyer flights. The HoJo sounds great, near a Starbucks too. The actual Disneyland resort hotels all sound like they have problems with cleanliness, service, etc., even the Grand Californian, and for the insane prices they should be top notch. The Sanka only, no real coffee is pretty much a deal breaker too.

It looks like the Minnie Breakfast is the only character breakfast at Disneyland, does anyone know if this is right? I have the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland on its way from amazon but am obsessing right now after reading your tips!

Thanks!
    I'm so glad you guys are enjoying my DL tips! When I was planning our trip, most of the BBB Disney posts were about Disney World, so I thought I'd add some DL tips for those of us on the West Coast...

There are five character meals at DL:
    Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn (inside Disneyland)
    Lilo & Stitch at Paradise Pier Hotel
    Chip & Dale Storytellers at the Grand Californian Hotel
    Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel
    Ariel's Grotto (inside Disney California Adventure)

I believe you can get breakfast at all five.
    Here's a thread from the disboards on character breakfasts: http://tinyurl.com/cc4f6w
    Here's a post from MousePlanet showing character meal prices and where you can buy vouchers: http://tinyurl.com/djrb2u

Have fun obsessing! I know I did!
    Mom to two spunky kids

Here's yet another tip: the "Celebrate: A Street Party" parade was not worth waiting for. Wish we could have seen the old Main Street Electrical Parade
    Mom to two spunky kids

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ariel's Grotto is lunch and dinner only. Minnie & friends has a breakfast. I have no clue about the other ones.

I just called and Pirates Cove at the Hojo opens at 9am when we are there. Drat. Hmmm, need to figure out how to fill THREE hours....
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The HoJo sounds great, near a Starbucks too.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Where is the Starbucks near the Hojo????

I think I may have died and gone to heaven -- Starbucks AND Disneyland!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Ariel's Grotto is lunch and dinner only. Minnie & friends has a breakfast. I have no clue about the other ones.

I just called and Pirates Cove at the Hojo opens at 9am when we are there. Drat. Hmmm, need to figure out how to fill THREE hours....
    Ariel's Grotto has breakfast too--it's just not heavily advertised/promoted. But you can make priority seating reservations for breakfast there.
    Mom to two spunky kids

Maybe you should make a PS for a character meal breakfast at Ariel's Grotto Or at Minnie & Friends. I believe they both open for breakfast *before* the parks open, so then when you're done with breakfast, you'll already be inside the parks and can play (or at least walk around)!
    Last edited by spunkybaby; 04-05-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Mom to two spunky kids

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Where is the Starbucks near the Hojo????

I think I may have died and gone to heaven -- Starbucks AND Disneyland!
    I clicked on the HoJo map link and the Starbucks is on Ball Road up the street from the HoJo. I was actually looking at another hotel, I think the Doubletree Suites two miles away because it had a Starbucks in the lobby! The HoJo looks great and the pool area alone would be a vacation for my kids, I would have loved that when I was little. I have never been to Disneyland or WDW myself, but found nonstop frequent flyer flights late last night after I confirmed a new Kid's Suite at the HoJO first part of August!!! (We need a mouse smiley face.) Thanks all, all the tips are great and links really super helpful.

I clicked on the HoJo map link and the Starbucks is on Ball Road up the street from the HoJo. I was actually looking at another hotel, I think the Doubletree Suites two miles away because it had a Starbucks in the lobby! The HoJo looks great and the pool area alone would be a vacation for my kids, I would have loved that when I was little. I have never been to Disneyland or WDW myself, but found nonstop frequent flyer flights late last night after I confirmed a new Kid's Suite at the HoJO first part of August!!! (We need a mouse smiley face.) Thanks all, all the tips are great and links really super helpful.
    You'll have to tell us how the kid's suite is! If you call in-house reservations and mention the disboards, I think you'll get a 15% discount--they can find your existing reservation, but you have to specifically request "in-house reservations."

Toll Free In-House Reservations: 800-422-4228

Glad all the tips were helpful--I'll post more as I think of them! We had a great time
    Mom to two spunky kids

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast