Default DS is sick... I need some advice...

DS has had a stomach virus this week and constantly pooping. I called the nurse at the Peds. office and she said that he does not need brought in yet, but to watch him closely. Because he is constantly pooping he has developed a bad diaper rash despite all the diaper cream we have used. My mother told me to put corn starch on his but to help it, but I'm not sure that is a good idea...WDYT? Isn't corn starch a lot like baby powder? I was told by my ped. not to use baby powder because it can get into their lungs. What do you use on your baby's butt?

Also, how do you take their temperature when they poop every time you insert the thermometer?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!
    mama to DS 12/08

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For dd1, I used a bit of Desitin mixed with Maalox whenever she had a bad rash. Then I sealed it all with vaseline (probably overkill). I also sat her in a bath with baking soda to help sooth the rash.
    For dd2, I've been trying Pinxav which has been working pretty well too. HTH
    Last edited by Clarity; 04-10-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

Both corn starch and talc are powders that absorb moisture, but talc has some asbestos like stuff in it, where corn starch does not. Here is a link to an article about it http://www.helium.com/debates/114737...c/side_by_side. (Sorry the link is so long, I don't know how to make them short yet).
    In terms of taking the kids temp, I just took it under their arm five or so times in a row, used the highest reading, and then added two degrees. You might want to double check because it's been a while for me, but I am pretty sure that the difference between underarm and rectal temp is about two degrees.
    HTH
    Last edited by love_a_latte; 04-10-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
    DSS biggest by far
    DD littler
    DS littlest

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD2 just got over a nasty virus. To help with the rash, air dry or use a blow dryer on cool. We used wet paper towels instead of wipes or rinsed off instead. We had to get a prescription cream for a yeast diaper rash that developed (you can google for pix). Soaking in warm baking soda also seemed to help. For temp, try an ear thermometer or jusy keep holding to get a rectal temp. Good luck! I hope your LO feels better soon!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have always used cornstarch w/ my boys when they have a rash. Works great.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Triple paste is the best diaper cream out there for bad rashes imo. Sorry -- hope DC is feeling better soon!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Triple paste is the best diaper cream out there for bad rashes imo. Sorry -- hope DC is feeling better soon!
    /hillary
    So I have heard

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Corn starch is ok, from what I've heard. Like pp said, it doesn't have the harmful particles that can be inhaled like baby powder does. The point of it I suppose is to keep the bottom dry. If it looks yeasty, you could do a little lotrimin with a zinc diaper cream on top of that. Baking soda baths do help too, as does air time. Sorry, I know it s$#ks. I hope it gets better soon.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Take the temp under the arm. Then add a degree to the reading to get a proper temperature.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007