Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is this a good deal for Dreamer Design stroller?

Hi all,
    I've done a search in this thread but haven't really found my answer, so TIA for any help. I've also posted in the stroller thread, so sorry if you see this twice.

My DH and I are searching for a true jogging stroller. He jogs/runs and I walk, but I'm hoping to start moving faster! I've been checking out the BOB Ironman, but stopped at a local baby store and they had a 2008 Dreamer Design stroller on "clearance" for $199. It is aluminum frame, 20 inch wheels. It looked like it would be a good fit for us, and for just over 1/2 the cost of the BOB I was looking at. I came back to do some research and have since learned that the company is no longer around, so I'm curious if this is even a good deal. It was his last one, and a floor model. (He said they used to carry a lot of DD but that customers have been wanting more Baby Joggers, so that's what he mostly carries now. He said it was found in the warehouse behind a bunch of stuff so not technically a floor model.) He never once mentioned that DD was out of business, so I'm wondering if he was trying to pull a fast one and get this out of his store.

Any thoughts? Opinions on Dreamer Design? Anything? I HATE not being told the 100% truth but just not sure. Thanks!

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hi there-
    I do not own a DD jogger- but saw one recently at Costco- it was like 140 for a double? A lady was watching me look at it- and told me they have one and it is fabulous..... I wasn't in the market for a double- but for the price I was wondering if I should be!

As I recall, Dreamer Design was based out of Yakima, WA. It was a good brand..... too bad they bit the dust due to economic woes!

Good luck!

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a Dreamer Design for about a year and really liked it. Manhattan Lite I think was the model I had, and I want to say we paid right about $200 when we bought it in 2007. I thought it was great quality and was like pushing a cloud. I ran with it a lot. I sold it when I found #2 was on the way though...

Will the store owner let you (or, actually, your husband if you're still pregnant) take it for a 'test run' out in the parking lot?
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a Dreamer Design and LOVE it. It has gotten more use then any other stroller we own and even though my kids are old enough that I should just pass the stroller on, I still don't have the heart. :-) Initially, I had wished that it's front wheel had a swivel option, like one model of the BOB has. However, if you are looking for a 'true' jogging stroller, it's safer to have the wheel be in non-swivel mode anyway. I loved that it had the hand strap, so if I was running down hill or even on flat ground, I could let go of the handle bar for a few seconds and it was okay. Also, even if I was just walking (not running) it didn't really bother me to have to lift the front wheel to turn..I thought it would, but it wasn't really a big deal. The handle bars are easy to adjust with the push of just one button, so it worked nicely for both my husband (who is 6 inches taller then me) and I. The seat is very well cushioned, which I would imagine is important to the little one getting bumped along during a run. It has an AMAZING canopy that can come all the way down, if you are going straight into the sun. I also liked the generous, easily accessible storage for when I was just walking to the pool and needed to bring all our stuff with us. I, too, struggled with getting the DD and the BOB and haven't had any regrets with the DD. Good luck with the decision!

Oh, to answer your original question :-) , $199 seems like a good deal for a 2008 model. Or, you could check craigslist for a gently used one that might be a bit less....
    Last edited by baymom; 04-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I always heard that Dreamer Designs was a nice brand. It had a lot of nice options and had a good sun shade if I remember correctly! If it is a light frame with a stationary wheel in the size you need then I would grab it! Does the handle height work for you? Will you be using it mostly around your home and have a place in the garage to store it? Will you be taking it into and out of the car? How is the fold for you?

Is this the one you looked at?

http://www.dreamerdesign.net/rebound20.cfm

If the price is right and the stroller is in good shape then I would consider it. Only thing is that since the company is no longer making strollers there will be no warranty/replacement parts etc.

I saw a Dreamer Design stroller at Costco as well ... didn't look at it closely but remember thinking the price was good.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The friends I know who have the double said they NEVER take them ANYwhere b/c of the fold. It has an absurd number of steps. Not sure if they are all the same, but check that out first! They like the stroller just fine as long as it stays open in the garage.

BOBs are okay to fold. BJs are actually FUN to fold!

This is my first post here, but I've been researching jogging strollers and just picked up a single Dreamer Design at Costco today for $99. It was the floor model and it came with the bicycle pump and rain shield. I have no idea if that's the regular price since they don't sell this item online and it was the only stroller in stock. It seemed like a good deal.

The stroller seems pretty nice overall with nice wheels, sturdy seat, etc. My complaints are that the harness straps are sort of cheap, but they work fine. My other initial complaint is that the stroller seems to want to veer right all the time. I pumped up all the tires and did a little frame adjustment and it seems better, but still not perfect.

I also cannot get it to collapse. I see the sliders on the sides, but pulling them does no good.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelA View Post

I also cannot get it to collapse. I see the sliders on the sides, but pulling them does no good.
    I want to say I was able to find an owner's manual online (if you don't have one) and it showed how to collapse it. Seriously, it was crazy, though...

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just happened to see this today. It may be of interest....

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767154
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Returnsforsale.com has the Manhattan Lite for about $168. Not sure which model you were looking at.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast