Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    cicada is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Ideas for affordable birthday party favors?

Any ideas for affordable birthday party favors that aren't complete junk? I'm looking for favors suitable generally for ages 3-5.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have been giving Little Golden Books - they are less than $3 each at Barnes and Noble or Walmart. They also have won a Mr. Toy Classic Toy Award in the past which I like. I wrap them up in wrapping paper. (I "borrowed" the idea from a friend!)

I had been spending more than $3 on goody bags filled with schlock!

I also get quite a few thank yous from parents for not giving junk!

Good luck!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here's a list of ideas I just put together for SIL.

These are all pretty generic for boys or girls!!

- Mini-playdohs (there should be party packs out there w/20 or so)
    - Bubbles (I always do these, my kids love bubbles)
    - Pencils
    - Bouncy balls
    - Coloring book/crayons (I've found books & coloring books at our grocery store for $!)
    - Stickers/stamps
    - Bandaids (all kids love bandaids!!)
    - Toothbrush/toothpaste (Stolen from someone here). Target has little combo packs
    - If you want a snack, I've also done the little snack bags of goldfish/pretzels/teddy grahams. Still a snack but not a ton of junk.

We've gotten but never given:

- Gift cert for ice cream cone (Friendly's)
    - Mini WebKinz (This must have cost a FORTUNE!!)
    - Train Whistle, but it was a train theme bday
    - Sand Toy stuff (pail, shovel)
    - For springtime, maybe a whiffle ball & Bat?

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I found licensed character (Tigger & Pooh, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Dora, Diego, Disney Princess) boxed card game sets for $1 each at Michaels. I used a 20% off entire purchase coupon, making them only 80 cents each! Each set contained two different card games (Go Fish, Matching Game, and others). Michaels had a good variety of things in the $1 section suitable for party favors.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Default Great gifts!

Last year I gave out puzzles and crayola marker/crayon/chalk/pencil sets. I bought the puzzles from the Disney store for $2.50/each. I think they were normally $10.00/each but they went on sale and I bought 20 of them. Then I watch the sales at Toys R Us. A couple of times a year they'll do Crayola products on sale, buy 1 get 2 free. So I stock up. Instead of buying 1 marker set for $5.99. I was able to get 3 for that same price. I bought an assortment so the kids could pick what they wanted. I have boy girl twins so their birthday parties end up being pretty big and I try to get things that aren't gender specific.

For favors this year, I hit up the end of summer sales last year and bought everything 50%-75% off. I just put everything in a storage closet in our garage. This year kids will be able to pick nice kites, jump ropes, bow & arrow sets, fishing poles, frisbees, beading sets and sticker sets. On average I spend between $3-$5 per child but they get something that isn't going to just end up in the trash.

I really watch great sales during the year and I stock up when I get great deals.

Other gifts that we've received that I've really liked have been activity books, puzzles and short story books. Everything else pretty much ends up in the trash.

When Discount School Supply had that last big sale, I stocked up on things like this. They have a great sale section ongoing, too.

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...?welcomeid=326

I nabbed a bunch of disney beach towels last year for less than $5 a piece and did those, that's still on the pricey side imo though. I hate the crap, but bubbles, play tattoos, and the little books are great ideas.
    Jen

Emily 5/19/05
    Katie 8/14/07
    Chase 10/31/12

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If I am really really ambitious and on the ball (and start like 4 months early) I might make or at least dye playsilks as party favors for the girls' 3rd birthday. Here are directions for dyeing them:
    http://kayciscrafts.blogspot.com/200...playsilks.html
    Last edited by Melaine; 04-14-2009 at 08:59 PM.

I usually try for one "nicer" item.

3 is the younger side, but I found Perler/iron bead sets on clearance at Michael's two years ago for kids 4 to 5.

Michael's has some fun stuff. They always stock mini-Perler sets for around $1. My favorite favor lately has been from there, they have tubes of 15 glow in the dark bracelets for $1. I use the tubes as weights for helium balloons then give each kid a balloon with the tube at the end. Provides decorations and favors in one.

We did big outside playballs one year. Biggest challenge was buying a dozen of those at one time. I'm sure I was quite the sight to see.

cicada is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I have one month so can't do much planning ahead, but these ideas help. FYI, last year I did thick outdoor chalk and inflatable beach balls, with some other stuff. The chalk and balls seemed to go over well with other parents.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast