Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I finally figured it out! I went back to the Jiffy recipe, but did a few things different based on suggestions and what I've read. I let the mix sit for 10 minutes before I added them to the soup. (Could definitely tell a difference when adding them in). Plus I used a tighter fitting lid. I read that the steam is what actually cooks them and my steam all seemed to be going right out the sides of the glass lid I always used. I put them on med/low for 20 minutes and they were PERFECT! My DH and DD both commented how yummy they were.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yeah!! I will definitely try those tips next time I make dumplings. Mmmm, dumplings. I have some frozen stock. How easy would it be to heat up the stock, throw some veggies and rotisserie chicken in and then make dumplings!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Yeah!! I will definitely try those tips next time I make dumplings. Mmmm, dumplings. I have some frozen stock. How easy would it be to heat up the stock, throw some veggies and rotisserie chicken in and then make dumplings!
    I used a rotisserie chicken for the first time this time, and it was great! Costs about the same as buying an uncooked chicken and much less work!!

So, I remembered this thread and looked it up when I made chicken noodle soup last night. I used Pastrygirl's receipe and warmed the milk and shortening first, and let the mixture sit for awhile before adding. All was looking really good, they were looking nice and fluffy. Until, we let the soup simmer as we put the kids to bed. 30 min later and the dumplings had literally sunk to the bottom and the noodles were mushy. Where's that cry icon. Moral of the story: don't let your dumplings sit *too* long. They did still taste good, though.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    So, I remembered this thread and looked it up when I made chicken noodle soup last night. I used Pastrygirl's receipe and warmed the milk and shortening first, and let the mixture sit for awhile before adding. All was looking really good, they were looking nice and fluffy. Until, we let the soup simmer as we put the kids to bed. 30 min later and the dumplings had literally sunk to the bottom and the noodles were mushy. Where's that cry icon. Moral of the story: don't let your dumplings sit *too* long. They did still taste good, though.
    What a bummer! I made some the other night (my kids would eat dumplings nightly if I let them choose!) and used my Mario Batali cast iron pot to cook them. They came out perfect. The lid fit so tight there was no steam escaping. Delicious. And I pretty much use the rotisserie chickens all the time now. Cheaper and easier!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomom1121 View Post
    What a bummer! I made some the other night (my kids would eat dumplings nightly if I let them choose!) and used my Mario Batali cast iron pot to cook them. They came out perfect. The lid fit so tight there was no steam escaping. Delicious. And I pretty much use the rotisserie chickens all the time now. Cheaper and easier!
    Awesome! I'm glad yours turned out. I used rotisserie chicken too. It was totally my fault for letting it sit too long.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2