Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Could someone PLEASE tell me the secret to fluffy dumplings??

My family loves chicken and dumplings...but my dumplings often come out doughey in the middle. My MIL always makes these big fluffy ones. I asked how she does it and I've done them the exact same way (Jiffy mix, simmer for 20 minutes) and I get about half fluffy, half doughey. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong!!! What is the secret?!

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here's the recipe that I use; I think they come out pretty fluffy! This is for after the veggies are tender but still a bit firm and you've added the cooked chicken back in and brought it all to a boil.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup shortening
    3/4 cup milk

Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in food processor. Cut in the shortening. Add the milk. Drop by tablespoon into the broth to make 16 small dumplings, leaving space between them. Cover the casserole and simmer without disturbing for 15 to 20 minutes.

Thanks for the recipe Cristina! I will give it a shot!!!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would like to know too. I've heard not to mix the dough too much.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

I haven't tried it, but the uber-scientific method types at America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated seem to think you need to warm the butter and milk before adding to get the lightest dumplings. Here's a site that posted their method:

http://foodandpaper.blogspot.com/200...dumplings.html

For dumplings:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup milk

... For the dumplings: Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Heat butter and milk to a simmer and add to dry ingredients. Mix with a fork just until dough comes together. Form dough into 1 inch thick balls.
    ... Lay formed dumplings on surface of chicken mixture. Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by annex View Post
    I haven't tried it, but the uber-scientific method types at America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated seem to think you need to warm the butter and milk before adding to get the lightest dumplings. Here's a site that posted their method:

http://foodandpaper.blogspot.com/200...dumplings.html

For dumplings:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup milk

... For the dumplings: Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Heat butter and milk to a simmer and add to dry ingredients. Mix with a fork just until dough comes together. Form dough into 1 inch thick balls.
    ... Lay formed dumplings on surface of chicken mixture. Cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
    I plan on trying both recipes but didn't have shortening so I did this one first. They were still doughy and not fluffy. I'm starting to think it's me. No clue what I'm doing wrong!!! It was a much drier dough than I'm used to and the dumplings did stay together better, but still not fluffy. The blog linked to with this recipe sounded so good too!

Is your baking powder old? Try getting some new and try the recipes with 150% of the called-for amount.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

i make mine using bisquick and in that recipe, half of the time is covered and the other half is uncovered. maybe that would make a difference.
    neeley

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    Is your baking powder old? Try getting some new and try the recipes with 150% of the called-for amount.
    I replaced the baking powder a few months ago, but I'll try using more. Good idea! I used to use that Bisquick recipe until I tried my MILs dumplings and they were so fluffy (she covers them the whole time so I tried that). I'm wondering if it's my pan? There is steam that comes out the top the whole time they're simmering. I don't remove the lid, but I'm wondering if it's not a tight enough fit? I also read you should let the mix sit 10 minutes before you cook them so the baking powder can start to work....so I'll try that next time too. Can you tell I'm obsessing over my dumplings? lol Thanks for all the suggestions. I just told DH we're going to have a day of dumplings...and keep taste testing until I figure this out.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

LEt us know when you find what works. My grandma used to make the fluffiest dumplings, mmmm. I have never heard of letting the mix sit. I could see how that would work.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast