Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default I'm for real this time....

DH and I had a serious conversation this weekend about improving our diet and fitness regime and I am bound bent and determined this time. Looking at bathing suits pushed me over the edge. I so desperately need new clothes, but I want to wait until I am back to my ideal weight. That means losing 25 lbs. We bought a nice digital scale which will at least help me know where I am. So, starting this week I am going to give myself diet "rules". I'll start slow, and add to them. Here are my rules for this week:

1) No soda, or sweet tea. I'll drink my coffee in the AM (let's be realistic here) and herbal tea later in the day if I want

2) No eating after dinner/7PM

3) Seriously upping my water drink-age, which won't take much.

4) Quit buying sweets (the Easter candy is going to be discarded)

The exercise thing I have to plan out a little better. I'm really struggling finding time to do it, but I'll work on it. That's all for now, just wanted to record it here so I can go back and remind myself. If I write it down, I'll just lose the list.

Anyone else want to set some goals or rules for themselves this week? Jump on in here and join me....I need all the camaraderie I can get!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm with you!

1. I am going to the gym no matter what. Even if I don't do anything major when I am there, I will exercise at least 30 minutes every day, hopefully more.

2. I will allow myself a treat at the bakesale tomorrow because I know I won't be able to resist!

3. Eat more protein.

4. Reach for fruit or yogurt if I am hungry, rather than the graham crackers.

5. Easter candy is leaving though will power has kept me away from it for a few days.

6. Breakfast every day.

7. More water.

Luckily I am in a place where I love to workout most of the time. My new gym is working out great, especially wrt childcahre. Even my older ds likes going so I know that if I don't make it to the gym while he is at school I can drag him there later.

I just have to nip this weight gain in the bud. I don't know what is going on but the scale keeps going up and I am getting miffed. Clothes aren't fitting as well.

I'll be here cheering you on and working with you!! GL!!

Beth

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am thinking of having a goal to lose 10-20 pounds over the summer, roughly .5 to 1 pound a week. My goal is to be a size smaller, maybe 2 sizes smaller in time for the fall fashions (my favorite time to shop). I think summer is a great time to eat lighter and be more active.

I do Zumba classes and I became a Zumba instructor. I work out about 3 times a week for an hour. That has been good.

I am looking for a free online calorie counter. Entering calories is tough, especially when I want to reduce my computer time but it works and makes me a lot more accountable for eating.

I want to greatly reduce soda too (to just once a week or less). Mt. Dew hasn't been tasting good to me lately anyway.

And I want to eat more good stuff, fruit and veggies!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Karen, sorry for the thread hijack but I have been meaning to ask you about your Zumba experience. I just started taking it but recently haven't been going because there are these fanatical class participants. They even wear all the Zumba liscensed apparel. At my old gym there was nothing like this with Zumba and it is thrwoing me for a loop. They are so hyper and territorial. It makes it not really fun to go. You never know if you are in one of their spots. And it's a bit odd when they start talking about the latest Zumba fashions. It's a fun workout but the people are a bit intense for me. Is it like that where you teach?

Beth

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am laughing about that. I teach one night a week at a little dance studio and it's all people who are new to Zumba, really laid back. I also take classes at our gym where Zumba is very, very hot.

I think at the gym it can be a little intense. I am a person who wears some of the clothes. But I wouldn't be intimidated by the apparel or other people, if you enjoy the workout. If people are not nice though, that sucks.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

2) No eating after dinner/7PM
    Most plans that I see actually recommend a protein snack near bedtime (like a cheese stick or a serving of cashews/almonds). That keeps your blood sugar from dipping so low overnight. Having a more constant blood sugar level can keep you from being so hungry all the time.

If you don't plan to join a group like Weight Watchers, I would recommend reading a nutrition based diet book....something like The Zone, South Beach, The New Glucose Revolution, etc.

I need to get back on the wagon. I was in really good shape a year ago and then life got in the way and I went back to my old comfort eating habits. Now I am looking decidely frumpy in my summer clothes. But I've been back at the gym every day thois week and I just had a protein smoothie instead of my usual morning snack of Easter candy. LOL!!!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think I have the South Beach diet book, I will have to look for it. I didn't know about the protein before bed, I could definitely do that. (does ice cream count? ha ha ha JK)

I will keep reporting back on this thread, maybe the peer pressure will help me.
    My sister RAVES about Zumba, but I feel totally intimidated by the idea of it.
    I wonder if the videos are any good?

I do a protein snack later in the evening. I can't stand to go to sleep with a growling stomach!

Karen, I wouldn't mind the outfits or the fact that the class has been together but they are total space hogs! And not very nice. The class is so crowded (why they don't move it to the bigger studio I don't know!) that I spend more of my time defending my space than working out.

Beth

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Count me in!

I'm so excited because I got my walking strollers ready and started seriously walking last Monday. Since then I only missed 2 days! Woohoo! I started walking a mile and am slowly adding to that. Today I walked with the twins (totally bundled up with the storm cover on their stroller to keep them snug) and it was 45 degrees. And yesterday I walked in sleet (Cha cha was with me and slept through it.) Nothing is stopping me! LOL I actually feel better already.

The diet is going great too. I've been successfully sticking to 1800 calories/day. I do go to bed hungry (or at least just starting to get hungry- never starving) but that's because I'm in bed by 10pm. When I go to bed later, I allow myself a handful of raw almonds.

I'm so excited because I'm just so motivated to keep this going. I need it too, because nothing fits me, including the "fat" summer clothes I bought for last summer.

Melaine, I've noticed with myself before that I stick to a diet better if I am exercizing regularly because I don't want to snack and ruin all the calories I burned exercising. Maybe you'll find that to be the case for you?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ok, I'm in too. My weight is creeping back up and it really annoyed me on Saturday to be the fat girl at the bachelorette party. Not to mention that I have to be IN the wedding in mid-May... and that we're going to start TTC in June (yay!) and I would like to be at least 15 pounds lighter before I pack some baby-weight on.

1. Get my tuckus out of bed tomorrow and Friday morning and on the dang treadmill before work, DANG IT!!!
    2. Continue to pack my lunch for work every day this week so I don't cave and get fries in the cafeteria.
    3. Do some form of strength/resistance training during commercials when watching TV at night.

Maybe we should all try to set goals like this every week to keep ourselves motivated?

Lisa, GOOD FOR YOU with the walking!!!! Way to not let the weather become an excuse to keep you from it!!!!!
    Melanie and Beth, more water is a great goal!
    Karen, I'm really impressed that you're a Zumba instructor! That's AWESOME!

Come on, women! We can DO this!!!!!
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast