Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No juice??

Default No juice??

Hi, I am new to this board and, as I have been perusing, I have noticed several posts where people have said they never give juice, its not nutritious, etc. I mean, obviously I know that fresh fruit is better with the fiber and everything, and you don't want your kid knocking back Hi-C all day, but why are adults encouraged to drink some juices if it isn't good for you at all? For instance, this time of year I can't find organic blueberries or blackberries so I give my 16 month old a 1/2 cup of unsweetened organic blueberry juice (watered down) per day for the antioxident value. Also, she won't drink straight milk, so I give some calcium-enriched OJ daily, as well as yogurt and cheese. Again, I only buy unsweetened pure organic juice, always check for those with the highest vitamin content, always water down, and she eats a lot of fresh fruit. What's the deal here? Am I doing more harm than good?

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've never been told or encouraged (as an adult or a parent) to drink juice. I do on occasion, but even for myself, I view it as empty calories. My kids get it rarely (maybe once every 2 weeks or even less often) as a treat -- and even then, only watered down (1/3 juice, 2/3 water). Our dentist and dr discourage children from drinking juice.

Even if its unsweetened juice, it still has a lot of sugar (fructose) and virtually no fibre. If my girls (usually only DD#1) ask for juice, I tell them they can have milk or water.

Me, I'd rather
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We don't do juice either. Maybe I've seen/heard too many bad teeth stories.

You can't find any types of cups that make milk exciting to her?

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We do some juice, but not a lot. I do it because the first time DS1 was throwing up sick and I wanted him to drink Pedialyte he wouldn't touch it because he had never had anything similar to that. So, now, the 2 oldest have a bit once or twice a week.

I've also not seen or heard anything saying that I should be drinking juice. I almost never drink it myself as I don't need the empty calories .
    Kris

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

As an adult, I rarely ever drink juice. Ideally, water is best. My kids rarely get juice, maybe once or twice a wk at most. They eat a lot of fresh fruit. Even if it is not organic. I try to get organic when possible, but where we live, it's not always possible. All I know is that I see kids sucking down juice all day long where ever I go. I don't think it's good for them. My kids don't have problems drinking plain water or milk, b/c I also do not let them have chocolate milk. I know some parents who got their kids hooked on chocolate milk and now their kids won't drink plain milk. The only chocolate milk my kids have had is hot cocoa. I guess I'm just trying to get my kids into healthy eating habits now, so that it is something that will come naturally for them as they grow up.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

my kids have about 4 ounces of juice everyday when they wake up from their nap. Other than that, it is either water or milk. I don't mind and think it is fine. they never complain other times about having mostly water all day. I don't want to forbid it or keep it out of the house as they are at the stage where they will see it at parties or special functions and I don't want them to have some emotional attraction to it later ine life "because we never had it"....
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No juice regularly here. I make exceptions at parties, after soccer practice and things like that. Water is free, healthy and usually quite accessible. I don't want ds to get into the habit of drinking juice primarily. My 6yo still requests water when we are at restaurants because he prefers it. He didn't even taste juice till he was probably 2. Ds2 has tasted it but I won't be making it part of his diet.

Beth

I am in the no juice camp. Esp b/c DS has some serious dental issues we're dealing with (not due to juice, but can be made worse by too much sugar).

However, he does get juice on occasion. First, he eats a very healthy, complete diet otherwise. I don't feel like 50 cal worth of watered down apple juice is going to undermine that. And second, he's like me and when he has low blood sugar (sometimes first thing in the morning, or after he's been playing vigorously outside in the heat), he becomes Mr. Meltdown. One juice box later, and he is back to normal. But juice is not a daily occurrence, and we purposely keep juice in our spare fridge in the basement so that it's a big PITA to go and get it. And finally, if it's been a couple of days since he's pooped, a little apple juice, and he is good to go, as it were.

FWIW, DS didn't have any juice until he was about 18 mos old.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm on the other side I drink juice and so do my children and I'm in the dental field. My oldest will be nine and has no cavities. My youngest is 20 mts. and he loves juice. It's not the best thing for him that's for sure, but I'm overly concerned. We do practice great oral care all the time regardless of the food we eat or drinks we consume.

When rarely had juice in the house until I was pg with DS. Then juice was just about the only thing that I could keep down in the morning, so we (DD and I) got in the habit of having juice with breakfast. Now it is totally part of the breakfast routine to have a cup of (watered down for the kids) juice in the morning, but that is it for the day. They know that it is only for breakfast, and don't bug me (very often) for it at other times. We brush after, their teeth seem to be doing fine, and they are both string beans so I am not to worried about the extra calories.
    DSS biggest by far
    DD littler
    DS littlest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast