Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

YMMV, but I used my Beco Butterfly for front facing from 4-5 months (when DS seemed most into it.) There is a strap/buckle that comes from inside at the lower front that I used to cinch the body of the carrier, then I folded down a bit of the top. He still seemed comfortable and fairly ergonomic (not dangling from his crotch.)

09Mom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

So, I've had my friends pikkolo for a couple of weeks and still find it a bit too hard to put on by myself. Is the Beco easier to put on? I find myself grabbing the Bjorn as much as it hurts because it is so much easier for me to but on myself while holding her.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The Bjorn is so darned easy that I understand how most other carriers seem hard in comparison. I find the Beco very easy though. Just a tiny notch more difficult and time consuming than the Bjorn but the benefits of it make that worthwhile.

Beth

The beco is way easy. just have the shoulder buckles buckled beforehand and all you got to do is buckle your waist and slide it over your head and put baby in.

once you get used to it, it's a cinch. save your shoulders please and get a decent soft structured carrier and put the bjorn away

I know it seems hard at first... I couldn't put on my Pikkolo without my husband's help for the first few weeks. But you'll get used to it soon enough. There always is a learning curve in any type of carrier. It's like using your first stroller... you couldn't seem to remember which buttons does what. But pretty soon, you know everything even in your sleep.

Lol. I was thinking the Beco would be easier to put on, but I'm not sure I want to give up the ability to front carry. Our little girl LOVES to face front and take everything in.

Vahnessuh - DO you have any helpful hints for getting it on yourself for a forward facing carry?

Forward facing? Here's what I usually do:

1. Buckle straps on waist (crotch already cinched)
    2. Pick up baby, have her face forward (back to my chest), holding her with one hand - usually use my non-dominant hand. My arm is encircling her chest (underneath her armpits).
    3. With my dominant hand, I scoop up the carrier underneath her bottom thereby supporting her bum through the carrier cloth.
    4. I run my hand upwards, bringing the carrier up to her chest.
    5. With my left hand (non-dominant), I adjust the strap on my shoulder. I then cross that hand over her chest, to hold the buckle that is on the right hand side.
    6. With my right hand, I reach behind me for the other strap (that's crossing behind my back), grab it and then buckle.
    7. Do the same for the other side.
    8. Adjust buckles to fit me comfortable.

Sorry if this sounds confusing... I tried my best to describe what I do. If you like, I can probably take a short videoclip of me doing it (and any other type of carry that you want to see).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2