3emm is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Sewing Machine Recommendations

hi all: i really want to get myself a sewing machine. i am a beginner;. can anyone make any recommendations? i have been looking at the singer computerized sewing machine & the europro intellisew computerized sewing machine. i would like a sewing machine with an embroidery function. i would like something that is going to last through the years. TIA.

What is the price range you are looking in? That will make some difference in your suggestions.
    Beth
    mom to Josh, Mollie, Jeffrey and Katherine Grace

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Not sure what your price point is, but Costco has a bunch of machines on their site for great prices right now:

http://www.costco.com/Common/Categor...99*&lang=en-US

A few of the Brother ones were very well reviewed on Amazon.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have one of the low end Brother ones from Costco and it is a great machine for the price. It sounds like you want something more advanced though.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would consider buying 2 separate machines. By combining the sewing machine with the embroidery machine, you REALLY increase your price point. Also, many embroidery designs take a long time to sew out and if they are the same machine, you can't sew while the machine is embroidering. A stand along embroidery machine is relatively inexpensive and if you decide that embroidery is not for you, then you can easily sell it.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got the Brother SE-350 and have been very happy with it. I'm a very novice sewer and it's really nice. My MIL is an awesome seamstress and was completely impressed with it. She loved how easy it was to thread and how user friendly and easy the bobbin winding and inserting was. I'm attempting to learn the embroidery part too...I've done some names on burp cloths successfully, but haven't tackled much more. I got it from Overstock for $299 with $1 shipping. It's refurbished.
    http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...andardShipping

If you are looking for a simple inexpensive one i'd recommend a kenmore or brother. However if you are wanting to shell out a far amount I'd go with a pfaff.