Default 1st haircut on mainstreet

I'm making a day trip to Disney world in a couple of weeks and it's close enough to DS's 1st birthday that I want to get his 1st haircut on mainstreet.

Anyone done this? What is the cost? Are they any good? Will it be a memorable experience (not so much for him but me!)? Any tips? When is the best time of day to do this?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The best time to do it is either first thing in the morning or during the parade. the fee is pretty minimal, around $15.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

jench is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Yep, we did it with our just-turned-one DS, we just got there ~ 15 minutes before opening (this was in Sept, though, so not super crowded). There was one boy/family in line before us, and while we were waiting, Daisy Duck was greeting people in the same area, so DD wasn't bored either! The barbers were great, and definitely knew how to handle screaming kids (um, that was DS). We got a lock of hair and Mickey ears that had "First Haircut" embroidered on it. You should do it!!!
    Jen

Thanks for the advice! WOW I can't believe it's only $15! I was thinking it was going to be like $30+!!!

I'm definitely doing it! We are going to try to be there super early, but if not we will all take turns waiting until we get close so we can get in. We are going on a Sat in May, so I'm sure it will be busy!

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It is well worth it. It is $14 for a kids cut and $18 for an adult. We have visited the barber shop every trip. DH gets his done every time we go and now the kids do to. They do a fantastic job. They take there time and the never rush.

Beware, you just get in line and wait. The barbers working there concentrate on the hair their cutting and there is no one there keeping track of who's next. I have seen so many people walk in and get angry and irritated because no one jumps when they walk in. Which is fine because who wants that vibe around LOL!

It is going to be busy when the park first opens, but if you can be one of the first people in line, it is worth it. If the line is long, just check back later in the morning. I believe that it closes at 5.

DH and the kids get cuts and colored gel and "pixie dust" in their hair. It is just fantastic...messy, but at least the mess is in the hotel!

Well worth it, put it on the list!
    Kim

another thubs up!
    I learned about his here, too, and ds2 got his first haircut and ds1 needed a cut, too, so it was GREAT!
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)