Default i'll be staying in VIctoria for a week, what to do??

We will be doing IVF in Victoria and we'll be there a week with a teenager and a toddler, so what can we do? I have not secured a vacation house as of yet but will be doing that this week. Our clinic is on chatterton way so we'll be staying somewhere fairly close.
    TIA
    Heidi
    Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The big museum down near the waterfront is great - stuff for young and old. The street that runs along the waterfront is good for browsing/shopping. There's a GREAT candy/fudge shop or two. You shouldn't have much trouble finding stuff to do in Victoria - it's a fun and beautiful place! Enjoy your visit!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Chatterton Way is quite far from downtown. There is really nothing out that way other than walking around the bird santuary (very nice, but small) or going to the Commonwealth pool (very nice, huge kids area and gym for the teen). There used to be the Bird of Paradise pub out near that way, which is OK (next exit closer to town). Right at Chatterton Way there is a shopping complex with a Thrifty Foods, various restaurants (IIRC, a Romeos, which is a local Italian place with GREAT pizza) and coffee places.

Across the highway from Chatterton Way is West Saanich road. There is a shopping complex over there too (with another grocery store, can't remember the name) with a large-ish restaurant which is quite good. Neither DH nor I can remember the name, but the food is decent.

That area is very suburban. You'll definitely need a car.

You could walk around Elk/Beaver lakes. Its quite a ways, about 10k -- no shortcuts, LOL.

The museum the PP noted is the Royal Victoria Museum. Its great, but right downtown. If you are down that way, also take in the Parliament Buildings and have tea at the Empress. They are all at the same intersection. The Laurel Point Inn has a nice Sunday brunch (though if you are there for Mother's Day, you might be out of luck for reservations). ACross the harbor from there is the Ocean Point hotel, and Spinnaker's Pub, which is nice (probably not kid friendly though).

Downtown by the Johnson St bridge is Swans, which is a great pub. It is across the street from the Johnson St. Market, which is huge and funky -- your teen might like that. Also in that area is Chinatown, which is a lot of fun (do the alleys too) and Capital Iron, which is a general merchandise store, kinda like the turn of the century. Pretty much everyone from children to seniors can lose themselves in CApital Iron for an afternoon.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The street that runs along the waterfront is Wharf St, its scenic but not many shops. The main tourist shopping street is Government st (1 block up). Along Gov't street is Rodgers Chocolates -- YUM!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I'd highly recommend a trip to Buchart Gardens if you can make it. They are incredible!

http://www.butchartgardens.com/index...tpage&Itemid=1