Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What question do you get tired of?

We all know that as mothers of multiples we get more attention/questions than singleton moms. Personally, I love the attention, I'm not one of those people who wishes strangers wouldn't talk to me about my girls, and only a couple of people have creeped me out (please stop chasing me through the airport strange lady!) So this isn't a bitch. One question that I don't understand is: "Which one is older." It's the question I get asked the MOST (after they take a random stab at their gender.) Why do people ask that? Often they guess which one is older...I have no idea what they're basing their guesses on. If the person is nice, I'll say "yes, that's the one" no matter if they're right or wrong...if they're not so nice I'll tell them "nope, you're wrong."

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not a mom of twins, but I can sort of relate on a different level. DS and DD are 2.5 years apart. When I would have them in a double SBS I would constantly be told that my twins are so cute. Uh, hello....NOT twins. My favorite is, they look so similar...are they fraternal? I guess I never understood this b/c they are not twins in any way shape or form. I think people are: clueless, nosey and generally weird.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The one that drives me nuts only because I try to explain and people still don't seem to get it is: "are they identical?" Ok, I can understand if you don't notice the blue and pink blankets or girl and boy outfits. So, I'll always say, "no they aren't; they are a boy and a girl." But then when some people go on to give me a quizzical look like they don't understand, or maybe the twins are identical all except for the gender parts , I just kind of shut down.

Even if I had the time to explain it further, most people's attention span only lasts 30 seconds and then I see them space out or start looking around. So, that's the answer they get and probably 75% of them still look mystified after I say it. Go check it out on wikipedia- I don't have the time.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh where do I begin?
    "Which one is the evil one?"- that's the worst
    "Which is the oldest?"-that just seems irrelevant to me. I assure you it never comes up at our house.
    "Are they twins?" in our case this is SUCH a big "duh". They are the same height, weight; look the same and dress the same.
    "Are they yours?"- REALLY?!?!
    Comments that also make me gag:
    "Double trouble"-gosh, so original and not at all rude
    "Better you than me"-although ITA with that one
    And the one time the lady stopped me to relay her long, heart-wrenching story of having one of her twins kidnapped from the hospital and praying for the last 27 years that she might find him before she dies.-there are just no words for that

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Oh where do I begin?
    "Which one is the evil one?"- that's the worst
    "Which is the oldest?"-that just seems irrelevant to me. I assure you it never comes up at our house.
    "Are they twins?" in our case this is SUCH a big "duh". They are the same height, weight; look the same and dress the same.
    "Are they yours?"- REALLY?!?!
    Comments that also make me gag:
    "Double trouble"-gosh, so original and not at all rude
    "Better you than me"-although ITA with that one
    And the one time the lady stopped me to relay her long, heart-wrenching story of having one of her twins kidnapped from the hospital and praying for the last 27 years that she might find him before she dies.-there are just no words for that
    ITA with all of this! Why does everyone feel the need to relay every story of every twin they've ever met - especially the horribly sad ones? I can handle it now, but when my twins were newborns I would literally have to run away before I started crying.

We get a lot of "you have your hands full" while they are watching me struggle to get my twins, bags, stroller and everything else out the door. Yes, I do have my hands full. If you want to comment, at least hold the door! The stopping and staring in general has not been great for us - my children now think they are celebrities and that everyone wants to take their picture or hug them or whatever. People seem to expect us to stop and smile and wave just so they can stare and gawk.

I get "did you have help?" a lot. I don't know if they mean fertility help or a nanny, but I am not sure why they want to know in either situation.

The whole identical/fraternal thing kills me also. I usually just smile, nod, and keep walking. (Mine are identical, but people always ask a million questions about it all).

Phew!

But, for the most part it has gotten better as they have gotten older.

eta: yep - we get the "are they natural" also. usually along with the "did you have help"... Strange.
    Last edited by fivi2; 04-27-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

"did you have help"
    Oh gee, I totally forgot about the
    "Were they natural?" (ie were you on fertility?)
    People are so amazingly tactless....also strangely curious.
    I mean, I just smile at people with kids. It never occurs to me to say much of anything to them....it's just odd how people are.

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    We get a lot of "you have your hands full" while they are watching me struggle to get my twins, bags, stroller and everything else out the door. Yes, I do have my hands full. If you want to comment, at least hold the door!
    Amen to that!

I like "are they twins?". Nope, I just have one wicked small toddler and one huge newborn.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

They aren't even here, but how many times have I heard "do twins run in your family?" Talk about a backwards way of asking if we did fertility treatment.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    They aren't even here, but how many times have I heard "do twins run in your family?" Talk about a backwards way of asking if we did fertility treatment.
    Oh, I don't know. I still hear this alot followed by some story about how Billy Bob's mom had twins and her mom had twins and her mom, etc. I think people are always on the lookout for some entertaining stories, ykwim?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I get the twins run in the family question all the time. It drives me bananas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast