Thread: zwieback toast?

Default zwieback toast?

My daughter loves zwieback. It has become key to our happy trips to various places. We've noticed recently that it wasn't on the shelves at stores, and when my Mom called Gerber they said they stopped making it! Any recommendations of other sources? Thanks!
    Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not for what you are looking for but an alternative that I preferred...Baby Mum Mums. I bought them at Whole Foods but lots more places are carrying them now. They are made out of rice and are crispy wafers. They dissolve so there is very little chance of choking.

Beth

Can't you just buy regular old rusk? It's basically the same thing, though the Dutch kind is usually round, not toast-shaped. Of course, Beth has a good point about choking - they're both pretty hard, but if your baby is already used to zwieback I guess it would be OK.

ETA: something similar might be Knakebrod; we use Farley's baby cookies for the same purpose that you're describing. They're not actually cookies, but are made out of fortified baby cereal and cookie shaped.
    Last edited by MontrealMum; 04-29-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We used Baby Mum mums too-
    Maybe it is time to move to something else to replace the "toast"?? What about graham crackers or something else?

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    Can't you just buy regular old rusk? It's basically the same thing, though the Dutch kind is usually round, not toast-shaped. Of course, Beth has a good point about choking - they're both pretty hard, but if your baby is already used to zwieback I guess it would be OK.

ETA: something similar might be Knakebrod; we use Farley's baby cookies for the same purpose that you're describing. They're not actually cookies, but are made out of fortified baby cereal and cookie shaped.
    Do a search for "toast" in the grocery section of Amazon. Several options pop up - probably some that you could find in your local grocery store. Also might try various teething biscuits. EB makes a decent one, or you can find recipes to make your own. I'll second (or third) the Mum Mums recommendation. Less messy than ziweback or teething biscuits, IMO.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

She'll do crackers but doesn't love them the way she seems to crave the zwieback Thanks for the suggestions -- she hasn't shown interest in the EB biscuits but I will look for the Mum Mums!
    Mama to DD 10/07 and DS 8/09