Question help - crib and cat problem

We have a problem with the cat loving the crib. We have tried all the tricks and thought we had solved it with the crib tent. However - we have a new crib where the back is taller than the front and the 4 corners are not even. After calling the makers of the crib tent they said it just wont work unless all 4 corners are level!!! They really werent very nice nor had any helpful suggestions. Does anyone out there have any other ideas, products or ways to keep cat out of crib? I just know she will want to love and snuggle with the baby! Thanks

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm assuming baby hasn't arrived yet. Did you try the aluminum foil trick? Usually cats hate the feel and noise of it. The only other option is to get a really good monitor, maybe a video one and keep the door closed so the cat can't get in when baby will be in the room alone.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't worry just yet. Once the baby gets here you may find that the cat wants absolutely nothing to do with the crib any more!

Beth

We have had the same problem with our cat. No matter what, I can't seem to keep her out (even if she takes a break for several weeks). Undoubtedly, just when I begin to think she's over it, I find her snuggled up in there again. We have just had to keep the nursery door closed when the baby is sleeping. It was a bit of a pain at first, but now we're used to it. Plus we keep a collar with a bell on it on the cat so she is easier to find if she does sneak in. Good luck!

BeccaB. is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I was afraid that my cat would do that too. We set the bassinet up early in our room and she decided it was her new napping zone. Once the baby was born we had a family member put a blanket that the baby had slept in on the bassinet and the cat never slept there again. Once the baby moved to taking naps in the crib, the cat stopped sleeping there too. Still walked on the railing but never jumped in. We still kept the door closed, but it has never been a problem.
    Rebecca

We did the aluminum foil thing before DD was born and it did keep them from napping in the crib but I would wake up and hear them jumping around on it and playing in it during the middle of the night....
    Once we moved her into the crib from the bassinette the crib lost all of it's appeal, now they just nap in every other place she's been like the swing, car seat, changing table, etc.

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I totally thought our cat would want nothing to do with DS when he was born. The first night DS was home I went in to check on him and much to my surprise the cat was curled up next to him. We just always close the door to his room and do a cat check. DS is 8 months old now and the cats don't even go near the room.

MCsMom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Amen to the the cat check and closing the door to the nursery.
    DD did sleep in our room for the first 4 months. Our 2 cats were curious but never actually slept in the co-sleeper with her.
    I still have to chase them out of her room when putting her to sleep sometimes...

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I see this thread is old, but I was worried too, as the cats were loving all things intended for the baby.. So before he came home I had hubby put a blanket and a top he wore in the hospital in the two placed he would sleep. Brought him home. Cats sniffed him. Now, they AVOID where he is.. My cat actually walks around the top of the co-sleeper to avoid stepping foot in it..