Default Help - Stroller and Car Seat Options

I was hoping that I could hear what others have done with their twin newborn babies in regards to their stroller and car seat setup. I have looked at several different travel system setups. It seems the only strollers that accept twin infant carriers are tandems and I didn't see any I liked. They all seem very heavy and hard to steer. I do like the double strollers like the Bumbleride Indie Twin or the Bob Duallie. Unfortunately those only support one car seat at a time and I like the idea of not having to move the baby from the carrier when getting out of the car. Has anyone had any success with duallie strollers and infants, taking the infant out of the car seat all the time.
    What have other parents done with their newborns. What if i were to get two separate strollers? This would really open up my options, but then my wife or I couldn't take both babies with us since we need two people to push both strollers. I could always go with two separate strollers and infant carriers at first and then when the children outgrow the carrier, get two car seats and then a duallie stroller. But that is spending a lot of money.
    Any help or ideas are appreciated.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What we did (which seems to be the most common option) is to buy the double snap and go for the early months. It is a (tandem) frame only - it must be used with the car seat carriers. (I used snug rides. Make sure whatever car seat you get will work with the snap and go). They can be bought secondhand pretty inexpensively, iirc.

That should get you through the first few months at least. Tandems aren't great, but imo the snap and go is the best option. At that point you can assess your needs and see what kind of stroller you want once you are past the car seat carrier stage. I ended up with the baby jogger city series double (I believe it is now the classic) but other strollers work too! Good luck!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Could not have survived without the double snap n go! Being able to move babies without waking them is HUGE. Like the previous poster said, after a few months you can assess and decide what kind of stroller would work best for your needs. We ended up with the Baby Jogger City Mini double.

lorinick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Could not have survived without the double snap n go! Being able to move babies without waking them is HUGE. Like the previous poster said, after a few months you can assess and decide what kind of stroller would work best for your needs. We ended up with the Baby Jogger City Mini double.
    I agree and love the BJCMD for after the Snap and Go frame.

Thank you all for your posts. I just emailed someone on CL for a double snap and go. Whats a good price that I should pay for one off CL?

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I picked up a used but in very good condition double SNG at a twins' consignment sale for $35. They retail for $100, so I'd personally pay up to about $50 for one that is on its first owner. If it is quite used but otherwise in good shape, I'd go lower - $30-35.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Be sure to check the Baby Trend website to make sure that the car seats you plan on purchasing will work with the double snap n go. Heard lots of stories of parents wanting to buy the Keyfit 30 or Safeseat because of the higher 30 lb weight limit but these seats do NOT work with the double snap n go. And personally, I wouldn't go for these car seats anyway because my girls are 18 pounds now and they are HEAVY to lug around in a regular Graco Snugride! I would most definitely NOT be wanting to lug around a 30 pound baby in a car seat that weighs at least another 10 pounds! And I am not a wimp either...I have developed biceps of steel from having twins.

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Be sure to check the Baby Trend website to make sure that the car seats you plan on purchasing will work with the double snap n go. Heard lots of stories of parents wanting to buy the Keyfit 30 or Safeseat because of the higher 30 lb weight limit but these seats do NOT work with the double snap n go. And personally, I wouldn't go for these car seats anyway because my girls are 18 pounds now and they are HEAVY to lug around in a regular Graco Snugride! I would most definitely NOT be wanting to lug around a 30 pound baby in a car seat that weighs at least another 10 pounds! And I am not a wimp either...I have developed biceps of steel from having twins.
    I just wanted to let you know that I currently use the Graco Safeseat (which goes up to 30lbs) with the Double Snap N Go. I posted about it here:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...eat+baby+trend

If you read down to my response to Kindra178, I explain where exactly to put the bars so that the Safeseats click perfectly into place. I'm not sure why Baby trend says the Safeseats can't be used. Mine fit great. (If I can figure out how to post pictures, I have some of them in their SSs in the DSNG stroller). It's wonderful that they still fit because the twins are now 18 months old and I'm STILL using the Safeseats with the Double Snap N go. It's perfect now that they are the age they want to get out and taste everything. I dread the day they outgrow those seats....

ETA: My babies at 18 months only weigh 22 lbs but I absolutely don't regret getting these higher-weight limit seats. I used a Snugride with my first 2 boys and they outgrew them at 9 months (not by weight but by length). I don't know ANY babies who actually fit in their snugride up to 22 lbs- they were too long by then. There is NO way my twins (who are pretty short) will still be short enough to fit in their SafeSeats at 30 lbs. The Safeseats are longer than the Snugrides but still, most babies outgrow by length before weight. It's very convenient to be able to take one twin out to the car and leave the other one safely strapped in back in the house. Again, I dread the day I have to figure out where to put one twin while I'm taking the other to the car to be strapped in. Besides, if the seats get too heavy to carry, you could always leave them in the car and carry the twins out to strap them in. At least you have the option of keep them contained if you go somewhere where they need to be safe. I loved my Snugride for my singleton babies but I am soooo glad Graco came out with the Safeseats with the higher weight limit before I had twins. They have made my life so much easier.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 05-07-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just wanted to second what Gatorsmom said. I harangued her when I pregnant about this same topic. The Safeseat fits fine in the DSNG. This is also confirmed by Jools on the carseat board - they have very similar bottoms. You certainly can't go running or off roading in the DSNG anyway, but it's a fine fit.

I have the Bob Duallie now and I love it. I use it in and out my car too. I take it everywhere. Its wonderful maneuverability belies its size. Once the babies are 8 weeks, you can use it. I really can't recommend it enough.

Also, the two stroller thing will really limit your freedom, especially in good weather. Use the code babyb20 at upsideover.com to get 20% the Duallie or Baby Jogger.