arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default When did you stop using the Ergo Infant Insert?

My babe is 15 pounds 6 ounces and almost 4 months old. He has good head control, but not over an extended period of time. He does not seem comfortable in the insert, but I am not sure that he is ready to be in the Ergo without it.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My boys are 4months, but a bit smaller than yours. I wear them in the ergo without the insert. I just do their legs froggy style so they are tucked inside the carrier rather than out. I just help provide head support, but usually they fall asleep with their head on me.

So you still do the sideways infant position but without the insert?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I think she means that she carries them in the upright tummy-to-tummy position, without the insert.
    Laurel
    Owner, Carry Me Away
    Mama to Jack, 5 and Maddy, 3

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I stopped using the infant insert at 4 months when she could hold her head upright well. You can also use the attached hood to provide a little bit extra support for their head, or possibly fold the insert in half and put it behind their back if they are sitting upright facing you (that may be a bit bulky though). I think Ergo has an instructional DVD, and information on their website.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

After doing the sideways thing, we moved to putting them froggy style with the insert behind them. It wasn't long before there was enough head control to stop using it for good, I should be able to answer this question again with better "stats" in 5 or 6 mos, since my Ergo just came back home today

Thanks everyone. I will have to try the froggy style with the insert. He really does not look comfortable in the sideways position.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

So I tried the froggy position today and DS2 was screaming his head off. I guess I will have to use the Bjorn until he is big enough to sit in the Ergo.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

UPDATE: I called Ergo and they recommended that I place my 4 month old facing me with a leg out of the carrier and the other one folded in front of him Indian-style. I did that and DS2 was very comfy that way. Just an FYI.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009