Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 19lb 2-month-old in the tropics - help!!!

I have a big baby with no neck control yet and am chasing my 3 year old. My Bjorn has failed me, and he's too big for the moby and hotsling I have without getting really hot in the Houston climate. I also have some back issues so need to distribute the weight well.

I'm considering the Ergo, Beco and Pikkolo and am leaning towards Pikkolo because you can sinch the crotch and cross the back straps on front carry. Am I missing something? Are either of the others better for newborn neck support or a warm climate?

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am in Houston as well. My friend here swears by her many mei teis. She wears her DD in them all the time. I am not sure there is any way to avoid being hot in this climate

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

This is what you need:
    http://www.connectababycarrier.com/c...php?category=2

The fabric is made of UV protectant fabric and it breathes easily and is like the carriers you mentioned b/c it distributes the weight on your hips.

I bet you could cross the straps on this carrier too based on where the buckles are located.

Here's the U.S. retailer that sells it.
    http://www.momandbabynaturally.com/c...4/Connecta.htm
    Last edited by jenny; 05-14-2009 at 09:53 PM.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If it's between a Beco and an Ergo in your situation I would say a Beco. I have both and the newborn insert for the Ergo is really thick and warm.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ergo's infant insert would be way hot.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Some companies make solar veil mei tais (check thebabywearer.com for recommendations). I've been using my Action Baby Carrier SCC and its cooler than my twill/cotton mei tais and very comfy for front or back carries! It has a sleep hood also that you could use if you feel his head is too unstable.

poppy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Some people say ringslings are perfect for hot weather and for big babies. My friend says this sling keeps her babies cool in hot weather but it is very expensive. FYI, she only uses this and no stroller, so good for her but it's a couple of hundred bucks. There are other cheaper options out there, but in case you are interested.

http://www.pslingnewyork.com/products_sijira.html

I use the Beco and live in a hot climate and it does get very hot for my baby at times.

We too love our Beco, however in the heat it is VERY uncomfortable for all involved. I would like to hear more about the connecta if anyone has thoughts. I have also looked into the Ergo sport which is suppose to be breathable, for our 1 month old.

I have tried the Connecta, and it is very comfortable. I would add the lumbar support cushion for older babies. I perfer the shoulder straps of the Connecta over the Ergo.

Default Try a Didymos?

Would you consider a wrap? The Didymos wraps (wave pattern) are very light and breathable. Plus, when your baby starts to hold his head, you can wrap him a different way. Wraps are also better for hefty little ones as they offer more support and distribute their weight. I have a friend carrying her two and half year old around in her original wrap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast