Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

We waited to 6 months, and then were very careful on which foods for the next 6 months. Basically following Dr. Sears Baby Book food advice - and because we both have a number of food allergies ourselves.

Ped tried to push food on us at 4 months, and lots of different types of foods - but we delayed and went slow.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    ... He took to eating with a gusto only exceeded by a starving person who has been entered in a pie eating contest.
    We started DS at 5.5 months b/c he seemed to be nursing more freq, displayed interest, just seemed ready, and then we had pressure from the ped, which pushed me over the edge to start. DS took to it with gusto as well. I kept him to one meal for about a month and added subsequent meals slowly. Looking back at his growth chart, he followed a perfect 50% weight curve up until right before he started solids when he dipped a bit, so I really do think that was the right time for him, eventhough I had planned on waiting until 6 mo.

DD was born 4 weeks early and a happily EBF chubby baby. Given DS's allergies, I wanted to delay solids until at least 6 mo adjusted age, so we started at 7 months. It literally took 2 full months of offering 1x a day for her to take more than a few spoonfuls. I never forced it, but wanted her to get used to the texture. It would take 3 days for her to get through a 2.5 oz jar that we'd sometimes have to throw away unfinished. Now, at 10 months, she's just started really opening her mouth and showing that she is hungry for solids meals several times a day. I think prior to that, she just wasn't hungry/interested and getting enough from the BM. I wasn't going to be too worried about it, actually, unless she got to a year old and wasn't really eating solids. The ped was more concerned and mentioned sending her to a feeding clinic if she wasn't eating by the next appt! Whatever, she doesn't/didn't have a feeding issue. From this board and LLL, I've heard of many, many babies that really didn't get into solids until close to 10 months. Also, what's so great about eating solid food? It isn't more nutritious and it's a lot more work for mom. Anyway, if I did get comments this time around (I don't remember or didn't hear them), it didn't impact me at all b/c I'm a lot more confident about my parenting choices this time around.

ETA: Oh, I also wanted to add that when we started rice cereal for DD at 7 months, it really disrupted her sleep and she was up every hour at night, in great discomfort. That seemed to decrease after we switched to oatmeal, but I was worried about introducing gluten. Sometimes I think that when babies don't show interest it may be that their gastrointestinal tracts are not ready for solids.
    Last edited by DrSally; 06-01-2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    There are several health reasons to delay solids.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    Many moms do not BF. I think each parent has to just make the decision that is best for their DC.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Many moms do not BF. I think each parent has to just make the decision that is best for their DC.
    As someone who FF her first child, I realize that. However, FF or BF or combo, there are health reasons to delay solids, which is the comment I was responding to. That link has good info about those reasons which include obesity later in life, food allergies and links to diabetes. I apologize if you thought it offended moms who use formula. I don't personally find it offensive.

There is a LOT of societal pressure to feed kids solids early, whether because it's fun, your ILs are nagging you or your ped says it's OK. Many of these decisions are made in the absence of what is considered the most current info. And as Karen pointed out, unfortunately even advice given by many peds is not the most current info.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I was not offended. I just thought the advice may not apply exactly the same if you FF your DC. Still, I cannot imagine how a difference of two months would have lifelong effects. To each their own I guess...
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

a lot happens in a baby in two months. They are growing and changing rapidly in the first year.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5