Default Mattress firmness for boys

Hi all,

We looked at the old posts and couldn't find much about selecting the mattress firmness for boys. Should we go with the firm or plush? Some people suggest that for boys firms are good and for girls a plush would be better for the long term.

We are planning to go with plush/soft mattress as it is more comfortable but we want to make sure that it is just a choice of comfort and does not have any other effects on young people.

We appreciated any pointers on selecting the right firmness.

Best,

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think firm is always better from a spine health standpoint. I am of the belief that if they don't know beds can be extra squishy that they won't miss it or care. Get a firm and buy a quilted mattress pad if you are concerned. At least it will have a good, solid base. I would think that it matters regardless of age, and maybe even more now when they are growing. I have never heard the boy/ girl thing before. Interesting but I don't see how gender makes a difference.

Beth

Thanks Beth. You have a good point shared by my wife. I think we will go with a firm one. The gender difference was explained by increasing size of the girls' hips as they grew.