Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Baby gate for deck?

Do you have a baby gate on your deck? I've seen them on decks and am wondering if these are special "weather proof" gates or just regular baby gates used on a deck? We are building a deck with black aluminum spindles and will want a black gate for sure.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

I have seen them advertised in the One Step Ahead catalog. They have them in different finishes.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

we have 2 retract-a-gates on our deck (it is covered with a roof). We haven't had any issues. Retract-a-gates do not come in black. Also with retract-a-gate you can take the roller off the hinge and take it inside -- we did this over the New England winter.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Thank you for the responses. I did a search and they also have "weather proof" pet gates in black that seem a bit cheaper. Seems like there are many options, but all online. My building contractor says he's never seen any IRL.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Thank you for the responses. I did a search and they also have "weather proof" pet gates in black that seem a bit cheaper. Seems like there are many options, but all online. My building contractor says he's never seen any IRL.
    Could your contractor build you a gate to match the deck? That is what we had in our previous house ( a townhouse with a 2nd level deck). It matched the wood, opened and closed nicely and had a childproof lock.

For my new deck, it is only 5 steps off the ground. I want a gate mainly to keep DD on the deck when I am cooking dinner, etc. so I know she's not running all over the yard where I can't see her. I am probably going to go to BRU and get something cheap that doesn't necessarily attach.

I am considering this
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2266977
    This one because I can 'lean' it across the opening, plus I have the superyard inside, so I could use it as an attachment as well.

There is also a mesh railing guard that ties ( I probably not explaining it enough!) Anyway, I am considering that one b/c I can strech it across, tie it to the railings and she can't move it, like she maybe could move the superyard one.

Anyway....that's *my* story, lol. HTH!!

ETA: the many spelling mistakes, yikes!
    B

DS
    DD

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our deck came with a gate when we moved it....it seems like it is built out of the same materials as the deck....same spindels and stuff....has one of those slide latches (on the outside of the gate) and regular door hinges.......very very sturdy.
    I think a pp mentioned this as well....could you have a gate made to match the deck?

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

HAving a gate made to match the deck is a nice idea. I think that would look nice. I will talk to my contractor about it.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DH made one. It has a wheel on one end to help it slide open/closed. It opens toward the deck, not toward the stairs, obviously. I like it because I can also use it to lock my dog on the deck when needed

We also had to add extra slats to our deck when we moved in. There were places where the gaps between slats were more than 4 inches apart. There was someone here at the BBB a few years ago who had a DC fall through slats on their deck (and they said they never would have guessed their DC could fit through them), so when we moved in, I made DH add extra slats.

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    DH made one. It has a wheel on one end to help it slide open/closed. It opens toward the deck, not toward the stairs, obviously. I like it because I can also use it to lock my dog on the deck when needed

We also had to add extra slats to our deck when we moved in. There were places where the gaps between slats were more than 4 inches apart. There was someone here at the BBB a few years ago who had a DC fall through slats on their deck (and they said they never would have guessed their DC could fit through them), so when we moved in, I made DH add extra slats.
    Oh that's sad. I must not have been here when that happened. I'm not sure what code is here, but I will make sure they're no more that 4 inches apart.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

emschwar is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

bump!
    Any other gates for decks besides the One Step Ahead one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast