Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Multiples advice in Baby Bargains

When I was expecting twins, I really appreciated the multiples advice in Baby Bargains. Now that my girls are 9 months old, I thought I’d add some of my own hints that may be useful to readers

Maternity/nursing

Don’t fall for “buy your pre-pregnancy size!” That might work for some, but when you are carrying multiples, your body undergoes some pretty ridiculous changes. For example, my hips expanded by 5 INCHES by the end of my pregnancy. And that was the actual pelvic bones widening, not extra weight gain. My rib cage did some serious widening as well.

Buy ONLY what you can get away with for the next couple of weeks. My body was changing so quickly that I was making a run to Target (which I LOVED for maternity clothes) every other week to buy the next size up, so a lot of what I wore only got put on once or twice. Buy sparingly!

Buy tops LONG and in a stretchy knit fabric (cotton/spandex). Tunic tops are best. Regular tops won’t cover your extra-large belly.
    Think about dresses in the later stages of pregnancy. Dresses were the only thing comfortable for me in the 8th and 9th months (and the only thing that covered my belly completely), and I normally hate dresses! Buy them in an empire-waist baby-doll style. The gathers in this style provide extra fabric for covering a giant belly while minimizing the high-low hem effect. I found that non-maternity dresses in this style worked great too. Target.com carries a HUGE selection of cotton dresses and often run free shipping deals for purchases over $50. Their maternity selection online is also very good, and free returns to a Target store make it worthwhile.

Wear flip flops in the summer (instead of buying new shoes). Swollen feet are most comfortable in these, and they are cheap. I even got my “no flip-flops” workplace to agree to let me wear flip flops for my comfort (it never hurts to ask – people are surprisingly accommodating when you are carrying multiples. Cars would even stop far far away in my pedestrian-unfriendly city so that I could waddle across the street safely because my belly obviously had more than one baby in it. Cars don’t stop for me anymore, even with the double stroller).

Granny panties, for post-babies if you had a c-section. I found that buying cotton granny panties in a larger size from Target worked just as well as buying maternity underwear. If you had a c-section, these are most comfy because they cover the scar, and provide some layer of protection from rubbing when you wear pants. Your pre-pregnancy undies might also work (waistline hitting below the scar in a low-cut bikini style) but it is more uncomfortable to wear pants over these because there’s no layer to protect the pants waistline from rubbing on your scar.

Target carries Gilligan O’Malley nursing tanks for only $17. Unless you have a really large bust, these work great and are cotton. I live in them and all my other nursing bras have been banished to the back of the closet. Nursing tanks are great because they keep my other-worldy belly covered and keep my twins from yanking at my twinskin while nursing. And I can just throw on a tank top or cardigan or button-down over it when going out. Bravado makes a fantastic nursing tank but it is much more expensive and I only own one for that reason ($45). I don't mind the non-discreet nursing openings (which expose the entire boob) because there’s no way to discreetly nurse twins simultaneously anyway. If I am out and about, I use the backseat of the minivan, or nurse them one at a time.

Nursing pillow – the EZ-2-nurse twin nursing pillow is great and allows me to nurse simultaneously. The kicker for me was that I need a nursing stool (or a low ottoman will work) to help position my feet (the pillow rests on top of your thighs, and taller women will need to raise the height of the thighs by using the nursing stool so that the babies can reach the boobs without Mom slouching over). Extra towels and pillows are needed to help with positioning when babies are small. My Brest Friend is reportedly coming out with a twin nursing pillow as well.

I bought a large La-Z-Boy recliner before finding out I was having twins. Worthless (glad it was a Craigslist purchase). I ended up buying a “chair-and-a-half” instead of a loveseat because I needed it to fit in the nursery. Works great!

Newborn clothing
    Many sets of multiples are born at good weights nowadays due to good prenatal care. I actually think it is a waste of money to buy preemie clothes. If your multiples are premature, the hospital provides garments anyway and by the time you bring them home, newborn clothes (while they will look big) will work just fine. My twins were well over 6 lbs each and Gerber onesies, which tend to run small, worked great. Of course, they get outgrown before you can say “Sham-Wow!”. Many multiples clubs will also lend out preemie clothes should you find you really need them.

Books
    Barbara Luke’s “When You’re Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads” was the most useful book for me. It is the only book that contains extensive nutritional advice for maximizing a multiples pregnancy outcome (which was based on research). I followed the advice as best as I was able (there were some days it was impossible to eat as much as the book suggested) and I truly believe it contributed to the length of my pregnancy (38 weeks) and the size and health of my babies (6 lb 4 oz and 6 lb 6 oz) despite starting out underweight. It also contains nutritional advice for the breastfeeding moms of multiples. Think you were hungry when you were pregnant? Wait until you are nursing twins. You will not believe how you can never get enough food. My husband quickly learned to let me at the food first (like an alpha wolf), and then he would eat the scraps when I was finished.

Strollers
    Buy a Baby Trend double snap-n-go (or equivalent) at first. You can get one used for half the price on Craigslist. Don’t waste money on a nicer stroller yet. This gets you through the first several months, and the lightweight frame is great if you are recovering from major abdominal surgery (i.e. a c-section). I am still using ours because it is so convenient for quick trips (but now it is heavy and cumbersome to push due to the tandem design). Plus this gives you time to think about how you will REALLY use a stroller. Want to go for your normal 10 mile jog every day? That might not happen once you find how much work your multiples are. Wait to buy the next stroller. We ended up with the new Baby Jogger City Mini Double which works great for both walks around the neighborhood and trips to the grocery store, Arboretum, etc. If you truly need an all-terrain stroller, then you will need to get one with air tires but be warned that these are HEAVY. If you are a mall rat, consider a good tandem because they will fit through aisles better (but at the expense of maneuverability).

IKEA
    Cheap, good stuff! We got lots of things from IKEA – cribs, crib mattresses (by the way we do really like our Sultan Blunda foam mattress – it is firm, thick enough and light so changing sheets is easy – and it is holding up perfectly), play mat (IKEA carries one that is actually large enough for newborn twins for tummy time!), toys (lots of soft toys and teethers that are MACHINE WASHABLE!!), feeding supplies (cups, plates, utensils, etc. for starting solids that are POLYPROPYLENE, dishwasher/microwave safe!), books (a board book map of the world that is gigantic and our twins love it!), baby towels and washclothes, bibs, etc. And IKEA is a great place to take your babies when you need to get out of the house, if you are lucky enough to live near one. We also have a pair of IKEA Antilop high chairs, which we adore. We did not start solids until 6 months, and both babies were sitting up unsupported so we never got much use out of our Fisher Price Healthy Care chairs (our twins abhorred being strapped in!), and they were a PAIN to clean compared to IKEA’s. Plus the IKEA chairs are super-transportable for bringing along to friends' houses, grandma's, etc. For larger purchases, buy early – IKEA is often out of stock on their most popular cribs, etc. A note about the IKEA cribs - they are safe and sturdy, and though they fit a standard mattress, the smaller footprint makes them perfect for fitting two cribs into one nursery. And they are stupid easy to assemble. I might just cry when our girls are ready for their grown-up beds. Also, the IKEA cribs cost as much as a portable crib. If grandma has a room specifically for the babies when you visit and wants to furnish it, and you don't need a folding crib, then the IKEA cribs would be perfect for long-term use.

Gear, etc.
    Diaper Bag – a diaper backpack works best for us because it keeps hands free (and Dad will carry it too!). You can use a backpack of your choosing or buy a specific diaper backpack (we have the Columbia one). This will serve you well for most shorter trips. If you are going on an overnight trip, then you obviously need to bring a minivan and fill it to the brim.

Swing – buy just one. Some babies don’t like swings. Ours was useful to soothe a fussy baby while holding one baby (as I often fall victim to the “only one pair of arms” situation) but once they got past the fussy newborn stage, we don’t use it any more. You can always buy another if you need it.

Bouncy chairs – you do need 2. Buy 2 different ones! Babies do get bored with seeing the same thing all the time!

Bathtub – you can safely bathe only one at a time unless you always have someone helping. Even now, at 9 months.

Pack n Play. We have two, and they have been useful for overnight trips to Grandma’s house. They were also useful in the first 2-3 months, as we used the bassinet feature and the twins slept in our bedroom (sharing one Pack n Play at first, then moving to separate ones). Once they outgrew the bassinet’s 15 lb weight limit, we moved them to their own cribs in their own room.

Minivan. If your budget allows, I would seriously consider a minivan. Yes, even for you minivan-phobic people. Respect the van, remember? Wrangling two car seats is made much easier by sliding doors. If you live in a city with lots of crappy “compact car only” parking, you will appreciate that the sliding doors do not need so much extra space on each side as you are loading up car seats. Imagine having to open the doors to your SUV wide enough to fit a car seat in a tight parking lot (or imagine the angry owner of the sports car next to yours when you ding it while wrangling open an SUV door while balancing a car seat over your shoulder?)

Dogs. Great for picking up messes when you start solids. But please be careful of things that can be dangerous for dogs to ingest: grapes, raisins, chocolate, etc. Not that you should be giving your baby chocolate yet. Or grapes/raisins until they are no longer a choking hazard. But still, keep these things in mind.

Wow! Great advice! Thanks for sharing all those tips!

Alan & Denise
    authors, BABY BARGAINS

mom22 is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

a couple more notes from a different perspective...

My girls came home immediately from the hospital, but still required premie clothes for 6 weeks. (ID twins are often just "smaller" people) Newborn sizes would have been way too big! Our hospital only provided onesies while we were in the hospital, so you may still need premie clothes. Just either have a few on hand, don't wash them and keep the receipt, or have someone pick some up if you find you need some after all.

We completely skipped the pack and plays and I'm so glad! After reading a lot of boards (this one included) we decided to return the ones we got as gifts and get two PeaPod Pluses instead. They are GREAT!!! They are little pop-up tents with air matresses for sleeping. 2 P&P's are heavy and take up a lot of trunk space. PeaPods are small and lightweight. Much easier for traveling!!! Especially with all the other stuff you will be carrying with you with two new little ones! And my girls (at only 15 months now) LOVE them! And my girls will be able to sleep in them until they are 6-7 years old on trips if there is no bed available.

I love The Ulitmate Crib Sheet. I never change my girls sheets. (Seriously- I have changed them 2x in 15 months.) I just take off the Ultimate Crib Sheet and snap on a new one. A total time saver!!!

Diaper Dudes Backpack is a great diaper bag for the guys (and us gals, too!) and doubles as a great carry on when you go on vacation away from your kids! Lots of pockets, etc. for staying organized.

For those who don't (can't) breastfeed, two boppy pillows are a great way to tandem feed. I could sit between them, prop them in the boppies and hold their bottles for them. Helped that 3 hours between feedings seem a little longer in the middle of the night!

Huggies Overnights Diapers were sent from Heaven above. And I am a Pampers devotee! These helped us get our girls sleeping through the night much faster!

I definately agree with the OP on her assesment on maternity wear. I only gained 35 lbs. but I was ALL baby. I still wore "my pre-pregnancy size" but had to be very particular about what I bought. VERY long tunics, pants that were below the belly, etc. The rise on the full coverage pants actually hit halfway up my belly and would roll down, talk about uncomfortable! And my work was very nice about accomodating my work wardrobe so I didn't have to buy a lot of expensive clothes that would have been wasted. I thought that Target was great. Old Navy had some nice things as well. And Gap on sale.

For those of us with a small car that travel long distances with our twins, buy a Roofbag. (That is the brand name) It is a roof bag that can be used on a car with or WITHOUT roof racks! We have one and it is great! It is waterproof, holds a ton of stuff and was a lot cheaper than buying a new car! Or driving our SUV- my car is a business car and I drive it for free- so this makes it a much better deal for travel!

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Totally not ever having multiples in this lifetime, and not likely to have any more babies, but this was a fascinating post! Nice!
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

I'm gonna have to look into those PeaPods. They sound great. You are right that Pack N plays are heavy and a pain to travel with but they are so ingenious and sturdy that I had no idea of this other option which I could see being a bit hit, especially with toddlers!

I'd add a nice baby carrier. Not the dreaded baby bjorn, because that is way too uncomfortable. The Moby is nice, because you can wear both babies at the same time! Or you can wear 2 ring slings, or 2 pouches. When the babies get older you can wear 2 soft structured carriers (like Beco, Ergo, or Calyx), with one baby on the front, and one baby on your back. There are times when both babies just want to be held, and a good carrier or two can be a real life saver.

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    I'd add a nice baby carrier. Not the dreaded baby bjorn, because that is way too uncomfortable. The Moby is nice, because you can wear both babies at the same time! Or you can wear 2 ring slings, or 2 pouches. When the babies get older you can wear 2 soft structured carriers (like Beco, Ergo, or Calyx), with one baby on the front, and one baby on your back. There are times when both babies just want to be held, and a good carrier or two can be a real life saver.
    Very true, I forgot about this. We had 2 Sleepywraps (a cotton/spandex wrap carrier that is much cheaper than many!) My husband was fine with the tying process, which is easy once you get the hang of it. And if I had to go to a doctor's appt or somewhere alone with the babies when they were little, I'd always tie a Sleepywrap on me before leaving the house so that I could pop in a fussy baby when needed, and still be able to cradle the other in my arms. It gets you a lot of looks of sympathy

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Totally not ever having multiples in this lifetime, and not likely to have any more babies, but this was a fascinating post! Nice!

Like a moth to a flame fascinating!

Great job gals!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Great post!

I had the same experience with the preemie clothes. Only needed them for a very short time.

We didn't do the pack'n'plays, but in-laws were able to arrange to get us 2 during visits and we're comfortable with hotel ones (we go to newer hotels). This backfired on us once, in the second year, so we did have one emergency p'n'p buy. I don't know if I'd go back and do it differently.

We did the armsreach co-sleeper, with both kids in the bassinet for the first 4 months. It was great.

Also totally agree on the diaper backpack. I had a fancy diaper bag that got put in the closet after a month. Handsfree is essential.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

great posts! I just want to slightly disagree on one thing - the preemie clothes. Clearly that depends on your dc, but my girls wore preemie sizes for a LONG time. The hospital only had a white onesie with hospital initials in block print - looked like prison wear. One of my girls was just under 4 lbs coming home, the other was just over. They stayed in preemie sizes for a while!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast