Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Didn't like the Ergo

Hi there...

I went and tried out some different carriers last weekend, and ended up buying an Ergo (the regular one seemed smaller and to fit me better). However, I tried it a bunch at home, had my husband help me with it, watched the DVD that comes with it... anyhow, I just did NOT like it and couldn't seem to fasten it myself. The whole thing was just frustrating and seemed really counter-intuitive to me. So I took it back yesterday.
    I've heard such great things about the Ergo that I really wanted to give it a try, but I'm wondering, are there just some people that aren't 'baby carrier people'? My daughter seemed uncomfortable in it, and I just couldn't get used to the feel of it, and couldn't see myself going through the hassle of trying to fasten the straps myself, contorting my arms behind my back and everything to somehow attach it. I did the hip carry because w/the front carry she was RIGHT in my face which was weird, and the people at the store said not to do the back carry until baby's around 11 months. I'm even wondering how to put a baby in a carrier and then put the carrier + heavy baby on your back. It seems like you need to be an octopus to get a carrier to work. The Ergo seemed to be praised for being one of the easiest carriers to figure out, and to put on and take off. I feel really dumb for not being able to get it to work, but is there anything else that you would suggest that might be easier? DD is 8 months and around 22 pounds. Our Baby Bjorn was easy to put on and take off, but hurt my back and DD grew out of it really quickly.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You sound just like me! I had the same thoughts after I bought my Ergo. I had heard how wonderful it was but I found it so awkward to use, especially after the ease of the Bjorn. I returned the Ergo and got my butt to a baby wearing meeting in my city (search over on The Baby Wearer message boards for a location near you) and tried on a bunch of carriers and, most importantly, got to really play around with the carriers and get help from other moms. I loved that there was no pressure to buy, just other moms trying to help you.

I settled on the Beco Butterfly and have been so, so much happier with it than the Ergo. With the Beco, there is this like sleeve where you put the baby then you can put the carrier on. It takes some of the guess work out since you aren't worried about dropping the baby while you fasten the carrier. I just find it so much easier to use. Now that I have the hang of it and now that he is older I don't use that pouch/ sleeve/ insert and am able to get it on just as easily as the Bjorn.

I really felt like I had to be the only person to not be able to figure out the Ergo plus it just wasn't that comfy for me fabric wise. I was getting better at it at the baby wearing meeting because they had me practice over and over and were there to spot us.

Ds is only probably 23lbs at 18m but I still wear him a bunch. It's very handy. I wear him both on the front and on the back (depends on how much hair pulling I am up for!).

Beth

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I couldn't stand my Ergo. I never really got to babywear, though, because my son didn't like any carrier. But I preferred my Kozy, Moby wrap, Hotsling and other carriers... if only my son would've liked them!

I'd love to try a Beco Butterfly next time around.

I love my ergo - some thoughts:

I know a ton of people who have ergo & none use the hip carry.

If you couldn't fasten the top buckle on your back, the buckle right there moves up & down - it might have needed to be adjusted

Petite people sometimes prefer Beco - The part where you said the baby was right in your face makes me think the ergo may not have been a good fit on you.

Tried out the Ergo from friends and stores and never really liked it. I got the Pikkolo and just love it! Some moms find it hard to put on (although I thought it was super easy) though.

I love the versatility (front facing in, front facing out, back, hip) of it and the ability to custom fit anyone who uses it. With my bad back, carrying the load higher instead of lower (like the Ergo) is great.

I also like it when my husband puts out 23 lb 1 year old daughter facing out and all the Ergo moms would look at the Pikkolo with interest.

The Ergo isn't really my fav either. I actually like chunei's now. The best advice is what Beth said, and get to a baby wearing meeting so that you can try lots of carriers, with people who know who to use them, but aren't trying to sell you anything. thebabywearer.com can help you find babywearers near you.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I didn't like my ergo 'till dd was old enough to wear on my back...not I really like it....though it fits DH better than it fits me........I usually wear Dd with my hotsling in a hip carry....she's 15 months 21lbs

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

We have an Ergo and a Beco (along w/some others you don't want to hear about), but almost exclusively use the Beco for a variety of reasons. I do like the "feel" that Beth (SnuggleBuggles) is talking about with the Beco with the fabric between parent and baby vs. the Ergo. But a few differences in our situation are that our son is only 25 lbs at 22 months, and I am an experienced backpacker - so I am used to slinging all sorts of things up onto my back for a backcarry with a waist belt. It may just be that you need to get used to it? I truly my Beco, though, and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Try to think about the specific things that you don't like about the Ergo and it might help to pinpoint if it's the carrier that's the problem, or if you need more instruction or just time to get used to it... it is certainly frightening to swing baby up and over onto your back! I used to prop him up on the sofa as a transitional stage because I didn't trust the straps to do their job. As pp have mentioned, there are lots of resources out there for babywearing.

ETA: in the Beco DS' head is still under my chin in the front carry. Don't know about the Ergo as I don't have it here and only have used it for the back carry. My DS is very tall (long) and light for his age though so that might make a difference.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i didn't like the ergo either. i heard that the pikkolo and beco are easier to use and maybe more comfortable for the baby too.

Default Ergo Hip carry kills my neck

.. I like the Ergo front carry (if Dc's in your face you could try to lower the waist/hip belt), but at 12mo, DS wants to face out, which he can't do in the Ergo. He loves my husband's bjorn, but it's not comfy on me. (I'm petite.) I tried a Belle, but the weight really pulled on my neck and shoulders.

Oh and when I tried to put DS in the Ergo back carry, he fell backwards onto the carpet. oopsies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast