Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by researchedout View Post

Oh and when I tried to put DS in the Ergo back carry, he fell backwards onto the carpet. oopsies.
    I don't know if it's on the video or not, but the SA at the store I bought the Ergo from taught me to put DS on my hip and kind of bounce him around to my back while the Ergo is partially on me.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I didn't carry my daughter or even think of carrying her much until she was 2 years old. We'd used a Bjorn when she was an infant and I was home with her but once we went back to work I kind of forgot about the Bjorn.

I tried the Ergo (I am 5'6") and I didn't like it much at all. It wasn't comfortable for me and I have a bad back. I bought a Beco Butterfly which I liked a lot more. DH actually really likes it too. Good luck and I am sure you'll find a carrier which works for you.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

The Beco carrier sounds wonderful. I got the Ergo because I had never really heard of the Beco before. The Beco is twice as much though, or else I would get one of those for this next baby.
    I like that the Beco come with the infant insert. It bugs me it is so much extra to get one for the Ergo.
    I am 5'5 and haven't had too much of a problem with the Ergo. My 6 FT larger hubby can't use it since the waist strap isn't long enough, and I didn't think it worth it to buy the extension strap.
    I wasn't very smart and decided to try the back carrying thing on my own as I was in a parking lot, I just barely caught my son by one leg as he flipped backwards and was panicking because I didn't know how I was going to pull him up with my arm twisted behind my back as he was dangling there head down. Thankfully a lady was walking by and grabbed him for me - whew - that could have been catastrophic.
    I am 34 weeks prego and can wear my 1 year old on my back. It still takes a bit of wrangling, but, I think it gets easier with time. The hard part for me is getting him settled, bum all the way down, arms and legs not twisted under some strap, etc. It always ends up that some arm is twisted under something and I can't reach it to fix it so I have to take the whole thing off and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by longstocking View Post
    The Beco carrier sounds wonderful. I got the Ergo because I had never really heard of the Beco before. The Beco is twice as much though, or else I would get one of those for this next baby.
    Actually it's not as bad as you think

Beco Butterfly II carriers are about $139, and have the built-in infant insert as you noted. You can find discontinued patterns for $119.

Ergo carriers are $105 or $120 (non-organic and organic), plus the infant insert.

www.quirkybaby.com is one website that lists both.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You can also find deals over on http://frogmama.com/ for $105-115. That's where I bought mine.

Beth

I hated the bjorn and didn't love the ergo. I recently just got a pikkolo carrier. It's a buckle mai tai carrier and I totally love it! I can wear it for hours and not even notice. You can do front, side or back carries in it. I ordered mine from slingsilove.com - and as an added bonus the fabric is super cute and I get compliments all the time on it! Hope that helps.

Kelly

I'll second the pikkolo... love it! I also had a beco for awhile but found it uncomfortable for front carries..

I'm all up for the Pikkolo... love it!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We loved the Ergo and front carried till DD was almost 2! I didn't like it at first and struggled with adjusting it, clasps, etc. But it grew on me pretty quickly and I loved the sheer ease of it. I remember DD didn't like it at first since she had gotten used to facing outward in the Bjorn, but at 6 months, she also adapted pretty quickly. We *never* hip-carried with the Ergo. Since you've bought it, I would give it another chance (or two or three) before deciding against it. I found it to be a life-saver.

for Sandy Hook

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No one carrier will be favored by all. My husband detests the Ergo and refuses to go near it. My husband truly prefers the Bjorn Active. My brother OTH, uses an Ergo all.the.time. I use a Moby Wrap now but will likely switch to the Ergo at some point. One good thing is that if you can't return it, you can easily sell it for most of what you paid.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast