kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Twin moms: in general do you prefer

1 big gift for both children to use? 2 smaller identical items so they won't fight (but what's to say they both will like it at all I guess)? Or 2 different gifts, 1 for each? I figure once these twins are older, I will be able to buy them what they want/like/take an interest in but for babies and toddlers the presents are really more about the parents' tastes.

Incidentally what was your favorite gift received for your:

new twins?
    1 year olds?
    2 year olds?
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

As I recall, for the first year or so it didn't matter. It wasn't until closer to 2 where they would have a) noticed and b) fought over whose was whose. So if there was something they could share, or both use separately, that you wanted to give, the first year and a half is the prime time to do it in.

It gets more complicated after 2. Case in point: my son received a Thomas engine and my daughter a baby stroller from our good friends for their 2nd birthday. He loves his engine but also covets her stroller. She could care less about his engine. We wound up getting a second stroller. But as the gift giver, you never know what's going to catch on, so I just recommend giving what you're comfortable with and what you want to give.

One of our favorite gifts was a flying cow mobile for the kids when they were newborns. We put it above their changing table and they loved it.

So many of the rest of their gifts are typical kid gifts - a lot would depend on your relation to the twins and what you wanted to pay. We were delighted with books, stuffed animals, the usual.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hmmm. The twins aren't 1 yet, and they weren't our first kids, but a few notes.

They started fighting over toys at 5 mos. So, having two of anything is a good idea rather early on. (That said, two doesn't always help -- the toy in a brother's hand is clearly the best toy in the house...)

Favorite gift so far? Probably the baby blankets knitted by a neighbor. Gorgeous and thick, and both blue, but subtly different shades. We're just getting to the point where fun gifts make sense (as opposed to functional things like clothes).

Oh, and on clothes... if you're buying clothing gifts for twins, it'd be worth asking (or noting) the way they're being dressed. For instance, we dress the two boys in different colors on purpose, so we can tell them apart easily. We've gotten a number of gifts of matching (identical) clothing items. (What ends up happening is that only one twin will wear that item... they can just wear it twice the same week!)
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I prefer either a big item they can share, or two different items. Sharing won't be in their vocabulary for probably years But something like an exersaucer will be loved by both, and will help mom out by keeping one entertained while the other needs a diaper change. Two different items for this reason: it doesn't matter if you have 2 of the same things...they always want what the other twin has because somehow it is better or more interesting. Two different items are nice because they will stimulate in different ways. They will still fight over them, but I don't think you can avoid this until they are old enough to learn to take turns! Also...when they get older 2 different items (or one big item) is nice because if they are opening gifts at a bday party (for instance), it takes a lot of the fun out of it if one twin knows that his/her gift will be the same as the one her twin just opened.

Those are my opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by caheinz View Post
    They started fighting over toys at 5 mos. So, having two of anything is a good idea rather early on. (That said, two doesn't always help -- the toy in a brother's hand is clearly the best toy in the house...)
    I forgot about that principle - they can be identical toys and the one the other has is the best.

My twins were probably a little odd in that DS always ceded toys to DD, until he was 1.5. It was then that a sense of possession kicked in.
    -Kate

Mom to Sally & Leo - 2/20/07

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It really depends on the kids and your relationship to them. I occasionally buy my twins one big gift (along with individual gifts) and I occasionally ask a grandparent for one big gift. However, if I don't ask for something, I prefer that they get individual gifts. Perhaps because mine are identical, I feel that they get lumped together enough (as "the twins") and deserve their own gifts. (my father sent a joint CARD for their first birthday. I am still angry about that )

But, I agree with pps, at the first birthday, it is more about the parents and the kids won't notice - so get whatever you think they need. After that, I would definitely say individual gifts.

For my girls, we generally have to do two of the same item. at about 3.5 they are now starting to outgrow it, but I can't tell you how many times I have either had to take a toy away (permanently) or go out and buy a second one of something because we only had one. I am sure that is a bad lesson to teach them, but we all do what we have to do!

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well mine are only 3.5 months old, but my thoughts are;

I sometimes dress them alike and sometimes not - depends on my mood and what's clean. We did receive some matching outfits which were cute at the beginning

The most useful gifts for us were clothes in size newborn. The girls were born at 35 weeks and weighed 5.5lbs each. My older kids were much bigger at birth (8lbs and 9lbs) so we did not have much clothing in sizes below 3-6 months.

For toys and gear at this age, I agree with PP that I prefer different items to prevent boredom.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't think there is a right answer to the gift question. I think that for newborns and 1 year olds it all depends on what the parents want and for older kids I think it will depend on how they handle sharing. Looking ahead, I know that I would prefer one gift for the boys' first birthday because I already have a house full of toys from my older two.

My twins are only two weeks old so the newborn gifts are arriving daily. 90% of the stuff I've received are matching outfits, which work for us since my boys are not identical and I find it easier to just grab one outfit. I would highly recommend that you include a gift receipt with any clothing for twins because the sizing can be so hard. I have been returning all the newborn sized stuff people have been giving us because my boys are almost out of that size. Even though twins are supposed to be smaller, mine were both the size of a full term singleton.

At this point, my favorite gifts are the ones that are handmade and/or personalized. Just today we got the sweetest pair of personalized piggy banks. I also received two handmade baby quilts that are just so cute and I think will be well loved by the boys over the years.