Default Infant at WDW- crazy?

My husband is a 4th of July/ fireworks nut. We currently have plans to go to Ft. Lauderdale right after the 4th to visit family, and my husband, who has never been to WDW, wants to travel a little early and be at Disney for the weekend of the 4th. He thinks they will have spectacular fireworks, and he is right, because even their everyday fireworks are wonderful. Our son will be newly 8 mos. old. Now, I LOVE Disney, and you never have to ask me twice to go, but I've never been in the summer and never with an infant. Is this a very, very bad idea? Here are my specific questions:

-Can our infant go on tame rides with us, or will we always have to do a swap?

-Will our infant be able to tolerate the heat of Florida in July, or is it dangerous? How can we keep him cool?

-Are there escapes available from, for example, the Hall of Presidents or the Carousel of Time in case the baby cries?

Most of all I'm just wondering if we and the baby will be able to have a good time, or if we are spending a chunk of change to be absolutely miserable. Any thoughts?

deenass is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

To take an 8 month old to Disney, both you and your husband need to enjoy Disney b/c your 8 month old is a spectator at that point (we went on an extended family trip when DS was 9 months old).

Over July 4th weekend Disney will be HOT and crowded, so be prepared for lines and crowds and heat. Yes, an 8 month old can deal with that - but can you? Yours will not be the only baby at the park (and won't even be the youngest) so everything including the Hall of Presidents and Carousel will be full of screaming / crying kids, so don't worry too mcuh about yours disturbing the "peace".

You also do not have to be in the park to see the fireworks. There is a great place to observe the fireworks a the Contemporary resort (you don't even have to be a guest at the hotel, you can just go and watch them. They pipe the music in so you get tos ee and hear the same show as those in the park.

I LOVE Disney, but will never go back in the dead of summer or with all the crowds. It's just not worth it o me to fight the heat and the crowds.

JMHO.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd have no hesitation going with an 8mo, especially with two adults and one child (you outnumber him). He can go on any ride without a height restriction - which is most everything but the roller coasters and other thrill rides. It will be VERY hot and VERY crowded, so plan on standing in some VERY long lines. And I'm sure that the streets will be mobbed for fireworks - you may have to stake out a spot hours ahead of time.

You mention two rides at the MK, but I'm not sure that they have the best fireworks show of the parks. And MK tends to be the most crowded of the parks on weekends and holidays. Since the fireworks are available year-round, I'd suggest that you pick a different time to go when you can enjoy the parks more without the heat and crowds.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009