mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Cats and baby gates?

We are needing to gate off some parts of our apartment that our cats still need easy access to (their water/food bowls are in the kitchen and their litter boxes are in the bathroom). Our one cat could probably jump over a baby gate with ease, but the other is older and will definitely not be doing that. We're thinking that we might be able to mount the gates in such a way that there is space on the sides or bottom for the cats to get through (but not enough, obviously for a baby). Just wondering how others have handled this situation. Thanks for any suggestions!
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

We mounted our gates at the recommended height and my older cat was still able to squeeze underneath it. She looked really funny doing it, but it didn't seem to bother her. She would also jump over it. We had one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. At the bottom, they just went around it and through the banister slats. At the top of the stairs, they jumped and squeezed.

I worried about this, too. Our cat was older and wasn't a jumper even in her youth. She was a little unsure for a couple of days but ended up being just fine jumping over them once she realized she could do it. She would actually jump up *onto* it, with all four paws lined up across the top of the gate for a split second. IIRC, we even had the bright idea to put a little step stool on either side for her, but she totally ignored them.

I would be paranoid about leaving any kind of space on the sides. A little head could slip through so easily. I'm sure they make the gates with the only spacing that's safe for kids, kind of like crib rails can't be any more than a certain distance apart.
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine

3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought one of these, but have not installed it yet:
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...55234&keepsr=0

Quote Originally Posted by 3blackcats View Post
    I bought one of these, but have not installed it yet:
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...55234&keepsr=0
    I have this exact one, although we got before DS was here to block our dog from coming into the hall in our old house. It worked great!!! Now it's going up again soon.
    A very busy Mama to my two chiquitos.
    DS 11/08 and DD 7/10