Default scissors for beginner

looking for a pair of scissors that my 2yr old can start to learn on. tia
    neeley

ltmommy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

DD's preschool teacher recommended the ones from the dollar store. They have worked great for us! I even bought a second pair in case the first broke quickly, but we haven't needed them yet.
    Leslie
    DD 7.04
    DS 4.07

In my exp. anything w/ a rounded tip and the correct size finger holes works fine. DD (2) loves to "cut" playdough w/ hers, just cheapies and they work great!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

thanks for the replies. i will be heading to the dollar store first thing in the am.

i love the idea of cutting playdoh. i know ds will love it too.

thanks
    neeley

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We like Fiskars.

I am going to try the plastic blade fiskars (like 1.75 to add onto a homeschooling order I have in a cart for DS). Supposedly they only cut paper...not hair or anything else (I have a strong feeling my 2.5 year old will decide to snip her own hair in the near future ). They also have My First Fiskars which spring back open on their own...I've read mixed reviews but they might be interesting to try.

DS started w/ just regular blunt/rounded tip metal Fiskars. I find in general better scissors work better for us (and Fiskars are still reasonably priced)

We have the My First Fiskars scissors.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    We have the My First Fiskars scissors.
    how do you like them?
    neeley

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    We like Fiskars.

I am going to try the plastic blade fiskars (like 1.75 to add onto a homeschooling order I have in a cart for DS). Supposedly they only cut paper...not hair or anything else (I have a strong feeling my 2.5 year old will decide to snip her own hair in the near future ). They also have My First Fiskars which spring back open on their own...I've read mixed reviews but they might be interesting to try.

DS started w/ just regular blunt/rounded tip metal Fiskars. I find in general better scissors work better for us (and Fiskars are still reasonably priced)
    Had to laugh at this! About the time my girls turned 3, I came into the playroom to find a huge chunk of hair on the playroom floor next to the scissors It took forever for me to figure whose hair it was and who had done the cutting! I actually had to take them into different rooms and interrogate them. (One had done it to herself and not her sister, fortunately!).

I don't remember our brand of scissors, but they aren't small enough anyway! I need a different pair. (and to better supervise )

We started off with a pair of Fiskars. I really like how the handle really fits the shape of their small hands, but Mila had a hard time opening them up again after making a cut. I'm intrigued by the spring loaded ones.

We've also used baby manicure scissors and those were much easier for her to open and close.

When it comes to cutting paper, I only use Fiskars for the kids. However, one great thing I've found is to use clays and doughs for repeatable practice cutting. Recently I've been making egg-less cookie dough (no fear of salmonella). It's so much fun for the little one to cut and eat. I use a pair of plastic scissors (I think they may have come from a clay tools set or such) so I can wash them when done.