Default Help! son will sit but won't go

my son is 2 yrs and 9 mo. we started PT in dec '08, taking it slow. he will sit on the potty, but has never actually gone #1 or #2 in it. he knows what the potty is for, will watch mom and dad go (will even read us books!). we use a sticker chart to reward the sitting effort. Even if he is full of liquids, he will sit, then once the pull ups are back on, he'll go in the pull ups...he sees them as diapers i think. it seems he is unable to physically relax enough to go on the potty. however, we will read books and sit for some time comfortably. i tried having him run around outside in big boy underpants, but he'll just make in them, and doesn't seem uncomfortable. i just ordered the potty scotty underpants, cover and also the nighttime ones, to replace pullups. he is in daycare 2x a week and they encourage him to try the potty, but that's it. any advice on what to do here?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Stick his hand in warm water? Or, just either back off entirely or keep doing what you are doing. He's still pretty young and he just might not get it. You can't force them to understand how to do it. It's just one of those skills they figure out.

Beth

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Stick his hand in warm water? Or, just either back off entirely or keep doing what you are doing. He's still pretty young and he just might not get it. You can't force them to understand how to do it. It's just one of those skills they figure out.

Beth

I say that because I posted a very similar post to this awhile back and everyone told me the same, just to back off and give them time. The next time we tried and it was totally different; it was clear they were physically ready, whereas the first time not so much.

Unfortunately, they still aren't fully PTed because I'm not sure they are emotionally ready (DD1 has trouble holding it all day even though she physically can sit down and go).

Default forgot to mention I'm pregnant....

i failed to mention I am 37 weeks preggo...anticipating some digression once the baby comes. i feel comfortable going at his pace (that's what we've been doing since dec) i just thought by now there'd be at least a few successful "deposits" into the potty to reward. is there anything I can do or say to him when the little one arrives that will either move us forward in PT or at least keep us where we are at? thanks so much for your replies and help...

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS #1 wasn't ready til he was just over 3. I think if you can back off that is what I'd do.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

DS wouldn't go either. We'd talk, read, sing.... He'd sit but wouldn't go. Then one day, we left him alone.... HE WENT! Maybe he just needed to sit and concentrate for a minute. I think we were causing a big distraction. I should say, he was over 3 but showed NO signs of being ready. It took about 2 days and we've only had 1 accident. Good luck!