Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our Costco has organic "cold milled" flax right now. Supposedly with the cold milling you don't have to refrigerate it, and the label says it stays good for 22 months! The price was very reasonable too.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momit View Post
    Our Costco has organic "cold milled" flax right now. Supposedly with the cold milling you don't have to refrigerate it, and the label says it stays good for 22 months! The price was very reasonable too.
    Cool, where did you find it. I usually speed through Costco and don't have time to browse much, so I go right for what I need. Was it by the flour, baking supplies, etc?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was going to suggest more liquid of flax + water which make a nice goop.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the tips! I was making the meatloaf last night and needed something I had on hand (so no flax). I skipped the egg and the meatloaf didn't hold together great it tasted yummy. It was just DH, DD and I so the presentation wasn't too critical

BTW I made mini individual meatloafs in a muffin tin so they were small.

I have to admit, I know little about Flax, I need to go read up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Cool, where did you find it. I usually speed through Costco and don't have time to browse much, so I go right for what I need. Was it by the flour, baking supplies, etc?
    It was on an endcap, kind of near the cereal and vitamins. The label is blue and the container is clear with a white screw cap, a little smaller than a coffee can (like the ones they use for nuts, candy etc.).

There are a few recipes on the label, and it also says you can use it as a substitute for eggs, butter and oil.
    1 egg = 1 Tbsp. flax + 3 Tbsp. water
    1 Tbsp. oil, butter or margarine = 3 Tbsp. flax

Website flaxusa.com has more recipes

Default Silly Question....

since I know little about flax...

does it have a taste/flavor (i.e. does it alter the taste of recipes when you use it?)

So far I have just mixed it in applesauce and smoothies, and I didn't notice it at all. The milled flax has a very fine texture.

If I hadn't seen this thread I probably would not have noticed the recipes and substitutions on the package. Since it's a Costco-size jar I'm glad to have more ways to use it!

I've also heard that the flax works great. Soemone here had posted an egg substitute for baking once. Stupid me never wrote it down though. Maybe that would work as well? I think it was water baking powder oil???

Quote Originally Posted by AJP View Post
    I've also heard that the flax works great. Soemone here had posted an egg substitute for baking once. Stupid me never wrote it down though. Maybe that would work as well? I think it was water baking powder oil???
    I do have that recipe, but I think it was more for levening/rising than as a "binding" agent.

mjmamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Maybe try a little applesauce. I'm not sure what that would do to the flavor but it may be delicious!?
    SAHM Mamma to 4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast