Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've used oatmeal in place of eggs. It seems to bind better than breadcrumbs.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD has an egg allergy, too, and I've used the flax/water substitute for baking with much success! I use the 1 tbsp ground flxsd + 3 tbsp water. It works better if you chill it for about an hour before you add it to the recipe.
    Also-remember, some breadcrumbs are made with bread that was made with eggs! I learned that the hard way...
    B

DS
    DD

KimMae is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Flaxseed does have a mild taste but you don't notice it in a recipe like meatballs or baked items or even a smoothie. If I taste plain flaxseed meal or even smell it, I notice a mild fishy or sea flavor.

I keep my whole flaxseed in the cupboard for a while but any ground in the refrigerator. I haven't seen the Costco version that doesn't need to be refrigerated.

The healthy fats in flaxseed are why people use it as a supplement. Similar to benefits of fish oil. Omega 3s = good fats that we don't get enough of usually. Those old wives had something going with their cod liver oil.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3