edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Babyproofing dishwasher

We just moved and I'm trying to babyproof the new house. Back at our old apartment I simly had a gate in the kitchen door so DS wouldn't go in, period. But now we have and open floor design kitchen and family room and DS is all over the place. He keeps messing with the dials and buttons on the dishwasher. Yesterday he interrupted the cycle. Any ideas on how to keep his little hands off the dishwasher controls? And also, any experience with latches for dishwasher, oven, refrigerator?

Oh, I also need a new garbage can with a lock, since he keeps opening the kitchen garbage can.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think a trash can with a lock would be a pain to use. My DS1 is fascinated with ours, but it is growing old. No telling how many parts of toys or important things (silverware, cups) he threw away. We kept finding stuff in there every hours.

As far as the dishwasher, we only open it to load it when they're napping, then run it at night, and unload it in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I think a trash can with a lock would be a pain to use. My DS1 is fascinated with ours, but it is growing old. No telling how many parts of toys or important things (silverware, cups) he threw away. We kept finding stuff in there every hours.

As far as the dishwasher, we only open it to load it when they're napping, then run it at night, and unload it in the morning.
    My DS actually takes things out of the trash can, ugh!

And I tried keeping the dishwasher locked during the day, but he has started it several times, when he starts turning the dials, that's why I'd like to find a way to cover up the controls.

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    My DS actually takes things out of the trash can, ugh!
    oh, yeah. we have that too. esp drinks with lids - yuk

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a light switch for our dishwasher. DD can't start it when the switch is off. The people we bought our house from had completely redone the kitchen, and must have put it in. Once we finally figured out what that switch was for, we thought it was clever.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    We have a light switch for our dishwasher. DD can't start it when the switch is off. The people we bought our house from had completely redone the kitchen, and must have put it in. Once we finally figured out what that switch was for, we thought it was clever.
    Thanks! I'll look around to see if there's a switch. That would really make my life easier.