Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Neatfreak View Post
    I live overseas, so all of my flights in the last two years have pretty much been on international carriers. I haven't yet found an airline outside of ones from America or Canada that even permit RFing installations - I imagine b/c extended RFing in most other countries isn't really a possibility. Our next trip is to Melbourne, I think. I should check on Qantas. I think that they are picky about non-Australian carseats, though.
    I fly QANTAS once a year, and I've always taken on a carseat.

You MUST call them before you leave, about 3 weeks, and give them the details of your car seat. They want to know the company that makes it, the model, the widest point of the car seat (I lied and said 16.5" when it's 17.5"), how many harness points (5), does it have a top tether (don't know why they ask this as it can't be used on a plane) and where it is made...I think that is all they ask. The customer service rep will record the information and then the request goes to Sydney for approval. Sometimes they call back and tell me it's been approved, other times I have to call and ask them. I'm pretty sure you'll have to install the seat forward facing - Australian laws forward face at 6 months I think. I always kept DS RF in the car when we visited.

When you get to check in, you have to show them the "approved for aircraft" sticker, so know where that is, it took me a couple of minutes to find it the first time. When you get to the gate tell them that you have had the seat checked at check in. They might asked you again as you board the plane. Coming home from Brisbane, the check-in and gate staff all said that yes it was approved, but it wasn't written on the boarding pass and the flight attendant wasn't happy about that. The gate staff said it was approved, and she made them go back and get a print out from the computer. While that was being done, she did let us install it - she believed it was approved, but I think she wanted the paperwork to cover themselves.

Flights to Australia leave at 11pm or so, and they serve dinner about 2 hours after takeoff, and then breakfast is about 10 hours later, so you're eating breakfast at Australian time. They do give out snacks. We always eat dinner at the airport before boarding. We then go straight to sleep and don't eat their dinner. DS normally wakes up before the breakfast is served and he's hungry, so I have plenty of snacks with me to tide him over until breakfast is served. Ask for the kids meals, they're pretty good.
    Last edited by niccig; 07-09-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Yes, thx, Melissa. I guess it all depends on the child, as we seem to figure out eventually with just about EVERYTHING! LOL. I will buy the CARES harness, just in case, but we'll have to figure out the carseat thing. We don't have any travel-only seats, but we'll have to buy them as I'm not keen on dragging the BLVDs through the airports and then gate-checking them. I'm nervous that they'll get damaged. I'll have to find two seats that are on the less expensive side but still comfy and fairly easy to install. Some that won't drive me off the deep end if they're damaged or lost, kwim?

I am sorry but after reading this post I am confused on what is best for everyone on the plane....I got the impression and perhaps I am wrong that many here feel that a child should be FF in his seat on the plane even if he isn't in the car...because 1) the plane is different from a car during an accident and as long as he is attach that is the best in case of turbulence and 2) so that the passenger in front can recline his seat if he wants too since he paid for the seat too.

I bought a seat on the plane for my 6 mth old so he could be in his carrier it is a Graco Safeseat...I went back to look at the manuel it is suppose to be only RFing...I have a return flight in August and I already stressing about it for different reasons and feel guilty that the passenger in front of the baby can't recline.

After reading the very passoinate post here for and against I not sure what to do . I am wondering is it possible to FF this carseat on the plane? Would it work and not be dangerous for my son? I need a solution that will work for everyone!

please help clarify things for me!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by plusbellelavie View Post
    I am sorry but after reading this post I am confused on what is best for everyone on the plane....I got the impression and perhaps I am wrong that many here feel that a child should be FF in his seat on the plane even if he isn't in the car...because 1) the plane is different from a car during an accident and as long as he is attach that is the best in case of turbulence and 2) so that the passenger in front can recline his seat if he wants too since he paid for the seat too.

I bought a seat on the plane for my 6 mth old so he could be in his carrier it is a Graco Safeseat...I went back to look at the manuel it is suppose to be only RFing...I have a return flight in August and I already stressing about it for different reasons and feel guilty that the passenger in front of the baby can't recline.

After reading the very passoinate post here for and against I not sure what to do . I am wondering is it possible to FF this carseat on the plane? Would it work and not be dangerous for my son? I need a solution that will work for everyone!

please help clarify things for me!
    FAA regulations indicate that the seat needs to be used how the manufacturer recommends. Your Safe Seat is not designed for FF, it must be installed RF in order to be secured properly to any seat, car or plane.

If I had an infant under 1 or was using an infant carrier type of seat, I would definitely RF the seat and not worry about the guy in front of us (offering like HannaAddict to buy the person a drink or food item).
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I fly QANTAS once a year, and I've always taken on a carseat.

You MUST call them before you leave, about 3 weeks, and give them the details of your car seat. They want to know the company that makes it, the model, the widest point of the car seat (I lied and said 16.5" when it's 17.5"), how many harness points (5), does it have a top tether (don't know why they ask this as it can't be used on a plane) and where it is made...I think that is all they ask. The customer service rep will record the information and then the request goes to Sydney for approval. Sometimes they call back and tell me it's been approved, other times I have to call and ask them. I'm pretty sure you'll have to install the seat forward facing - Australian laws forward face at 6 months I think. I always kept DS RF in the car when we visited.

When you get to check in, you have to show them the "approved for aircraft" sticker, so know where that is, it took me a couple of minutes to find it the first time. When you get to the gate tell them that you have had the seat checked at check in. They might asked you again as you board the plane. Coming home from Brisbane, the check-in and gate staff all said that yes it was approved, but it wasn't written on the boarding pass and the flight attendant wasn't happy about that. The gate staff said it was approved, and she made them go back and get a print out from the computer. While that was being done, she did let us install it - she believed it was approved, but I think she wanted the paperwork to cover themselves.

Flights to Australia leave at 11pm or so, and they serve dinner about 2 hours after takeoff, and then breakfast is about 10 hours later, so you're eating breakfast at Australian time. They do give out snacks. We always eat dinner at the airport before boarding. We then go straight to sleep and don't eat their dinner. DS normally wakes up before the breakfast is served and he's hungry, so I have plenty of snacks with me to tide him over until breakfast is served. Ask for the kids meals, they're pretty good.
    Whoa - that's a lot of useful information! If you've waited three weeks in the past, I really should urge DH to finalize his holiday so that we can book our flights and I can look into taking one of DD2's carseats onboard ...

And plusbellelavie, I agree with the previous poster. You will have to rearface a Safeseat.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    FAA regulations indicate that the seat needs to be used how the manufacturer recommends. Your Safe Seat is not designed for FF, it must be installed RF in order to be secured properly to any seat, car or plane.

If I had an infant under 1 or was using an infant carrier type of seat, I would definitely RF the seat and not worry about the guy in front of us (offering like HannaAddict to buy the person a drink or food item).

I would absolutely RF in your situation. I flew across country with DS3 at 9 mos in the SafeSeat and there was no question at all that he was going to be RF. The disagreement comes in with older babies because there really isn't any information either way on what is safest.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7