Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wouldn't hesitate to FF a child on an overnight flight. Crash & turbulence dynamics are different in a plane, so that would not worry me at all.

Frankly, if I had an overnight flight with a child, I'd be doing everything I could to keep the people around me happy and as tolerant of my child as possible.

JMHO.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't hesitate to RF my child even on an overnight flight.

That person isn't going to get much sleep with my son kicking the back of his chair and if he reclines, I can't lean over and get the toys my son drops either.

IF We had family along such that we could, I'd put family in front of my kid to avoid the dirty looks, etc. But I wouldn't avoid RFing my kid just for that reason.

I've flown plenty of overnight flights, even sleeping, without reclining the seat.

I wish the seats could be rigged so they could not recline. It makes people feel they have a right to do it.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

MissyAg94 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There is no way I would RF a child over one year if it meant another passenger couldn't recline, especially on a long trip.

Former airline pilot here - no, I would not RF my child if it would prevent the person in front of me from reclining. The physics of airplane crashes is way different than the physics of cars. The main thing you want to protect against on an airplane is turbulence. As long as DC is strapped in to anything, facing any which-a-way, they will be safe. RFing on commercial airline flights for kids over the age of 1 in a FF capable seat is unnecessary.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

if I paid for the seat, I would not feel guilty at all about the person in front not being able to recline. You are following the rules, it's not your problem it's the airline's problem.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd RF more because I think the child would be much much more likely to sleep on the long flight rather than being so upright in the FF position. A sleeping child is a happy child (and fellow passengers).

BUT I'd absolutely put a family member in the seat in front that will not be able to be reclined-if you've got a child even better!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stillplayswithbarbies View Post
    if I paid for the seat, I would not feel guilty at all about the person in front not being able to recline. You are following the rules, it's not your problem it's the airline's problem.

That argument is illogical -- the person in front of the child ALSO paid for their seat and should be able to use their seat reclined if they want.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When DD was 15 mo we FF her on the airplane to Hawaii. It was not overnight but it was a long flight. She still RF in the car at 2 y and 3 mo.
    Maybe I am just too considerate//guilty or something but I feel like that person in front of me should be able to recline if they want to. I know I would want to.
    DD
    DS

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would also forward face if they are over 1. We just flew with my son who's 18 months and I ff'ed him. He is rf in the car still. He slept for almost 3 hours without any problems even though it's a bit more upright. I think if you can't do that then putting a family member in front is your option if you can.

The seats do recline and the person in front *does* have that right, especially on an overnight flight. I would want harmony from my fellow passengers on that long of a flight.
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

thank you everyone for your replies! i'll make sure the person in front of us can recline. woosh... there goes the guilt for 2 flights!

how about the shorter, daytime flights of about 5+ hours? should i be making changes there too?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast