Default 10 mo old DS won't lay down

DS slept with me for 6 months before I started transitioning to the crib. CIO took about a week and worked well for a month or two, he was sleeping 8 hour stretches at times! The last 3 weeks have been awful! Same routine...nurse, put him in crib drowsy and he would cry for maybe 10 minutes and be asleep before. Now I nurse and put him down and as soon as I go to leave he rolls over, pulls himself to standing and screams. Eventually the screaming becomes a cry which is when I know he sat down, then the cry becomes more of a whimper and then he'll get quiet...we're talking a span of a couple hours sometimes before this happens. However, he won't lay down! He will just sit there! If I go in to lay him down he starts to cry and we start all over again...every now and then he's tired enough that i can lay my hand on him and he'll go to sleep. I put him to bed at 7:30 tonight and it's now 11...he's slept a whole 30 minutes at this point which was when i first laid him down! Naps are the same routine and often we'll get to like 4 pm before he'll take his first nap which ends up being about an hour...that stinks for a one and only nap of the day! I have resorted several times to driving around just so he will take a nap! He's tired...probably overtired at this point but I don't know how to catch him up on his sleep. I swear he falls sorta asleep sitting up sometimes too. Normally by 2 one of us will go get him and bring him to bed just so we can all get some sleep.
    I just want my good little sleeper back! I have NO IDEA what to do with him at this point. If he would just stay laying down or figure out how to lay down by himself he would go to sleep fine.

Any advice is appreciated! I am lost...

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I feel like I am a broken record on the sleep threads lately but I have btdt. For us, it was a total phase. It lasted a few days (maybe 5?) then it was over. I don't know what caused it but it was awful. Pretty much for the first 17m he went in cycles of 7-10 good(ish) sleep nights then 1-3 horrible ones. I don't know why. We didn't change anything. But, they always just improved.

Physical milestones really can interfere with sleep. Give ample time during the day to practice new skills.

We co-slept when we needed some sleep, on the really bad nights.

I hope someone can chime in with something more helpful than "it's just a phase" though!

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I hope someone can chime in with something more helpful than "it's just a phase" though!
    Nope, just more of the same!
    DS did this exact same thing when he started pulling up. It was, as you describe, awful. There were times when I could hear over the monitor that he would actually fall asleep standing up in his crib, topple over, wake up crying, pull back up and start the cycle again. I was going to say that it lasted no longer than a week but I don't trust my memory so I just looked in his journal and it was five days exactly.
    I also don't think there's anything wrong with bringing him back to bed with you if you need to in order to get through it.
    GL!
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine