TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Anyone want to help me decorate the kids' Jack & Jill bathroom?

Resolved: to finally, after 4 years of being in this house, decorate the Jack & Jill bathroom that joins the nursery and my son's room.

Details:

Our house is a craftsman-style home. We have hardwoods throughout and both the nursery and my son's room have a very vintage feel. The nursery, which has been the same since we moved here when my son was an infant, has lavender walls with a sage alphabet mural. The fabric that is in our crib set is this vintage reproduction:

http://www.minkydelight.com/aff-201.html

coordinated with a sage and green gingham. I have a few lavender chenille scatter rugs from Land of Nod, and the room's one window has am ivory Roman shade that's finished with the sage and green gingham. Our crib is a Childcraft Legacy pewter-toned iron crib and the rest of the furniture is the natural Shaker-style furniture from Rumble Tuff.

My son's room is painted a light khaki color (also, all of the trim in the house is a medium brown tone - kind of mushroom-y). His bed is that navy trundle bed from Costco's Cafe Kid line and the rest of his furniture is oak (his dresser is a law school leftover and I had an unfinished nightstand stained to match the dresser, which is pretty nice for a grad school hand-me-down). His comforter set is the Land of Nod's Department of Transportation (http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=7&f=1202&pc=5). He has one light blue/dark blue/red/khaki rug from Company Kids, and two deep red rugs from PBK.

The bathroom is set up as follows: each bedroom has its own sink and toilet area, with a shared room that just has a bathtub and a linen closet. Each one of those is decorated similarly to the bedroom - IE, my son's sink/toilet area is painted khaki and I have several reproduction tin oil company signs on the walls. The nursery is lavender and has a print that I bought from an Etsy artist that coordinates with two other vintage-y prints that are in her bedroom. The only accessories I have are three oatmeal-colored bath mats that are leftovers from our old house. They're kind of grungy, even with frequent washings. There is a smidge of wallspace and I would love any ideas for what, if anything, to put there.

So what I really need are some new bathmats for each toilet area and the shower, and a shower curtain that somehow ties the decor in both of the rooms together. The themes I've seen at Target are cute, but the monkeys and ducks just don't jibe with how their bedrooms are already decorated. Something like monkeys or fish or ducks would be fine in a stand-alone bathroom, but it wouldn't get me what I'm going for with the Jack & Jill. Anything that points me in the right direction would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Well, the first thing I thought of was to use pails for trashcans in the bathroom.

If you have a little shelf in there, take an old fashioned bottle and label it "vinegar" and place some brown paper next to it.

Here's some things I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Jill-Vint...7111265&sr=1-9

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-style-...7111336&sr=1-7
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Green is a shared color between the rooms. I would consider painting the entire bath a sage green shade or perhaps honeydew.

We currently have a beach theme for the shared bath for DS and DD1 which would work well in your space, with a vintage feel.

For the shower curtain, you could use a solid matelasse monogrammed with each DC's initials. If the walls are green, I would probably choose white. If you keep the current colors, you could pick a shade of green (again tying in the common color). You can select bath mats to match the curtain, wall color or perhaps the monogram thread color. Restoration Hardware has a ton of colors to choose from:

http://www.restorationhardware.com/r...navAction=jump

For art, you could use a vintage beach print with children. Alternatively, consider taking candid (or staged candid) pictures of your DC on the beach playing, exploring, walking etc. and print in B&W or sepia for a more vintage feel. I did this in DD1's room and I love the look. The alphabet fabric may also have some images that you could use (i.e. sailboat, beach ball) for inspiration.

Another option: use chocolate brown as the unifying color. Both blue and lavender go well with brown as an accent color and it would match your trim. I still would like the solid matelasse shower curtains, perhaps in lavender for the nursery side and a blue for DS's room side and monogrammed in brown.
    Last edited by Melbel; 07-09-2009 at 08:21 AM.