Default Outlet Plugs - Choking Hazard?

I've read about this in a few places but don't recall seeing it here on the board or in the book so I thought I'd post this. A guy whose daughter choked on one of the removable outlet plugs came up with a safer version using ventilation holes like a pacifier. I've decided to avoid the issue and go with the slide covers instead of the plugs, but if anyone is going to purchase plugs then they may want to look into getting this kind just in case. The website is safetycaps.com.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sliding outlet covers are much safer. That is what we have.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Default outlets

I dislike the outlet covers. They're really annoying -- I have a couple of things (including my vacuum) which can't consistently make a connection because the outlet covers that we had were making the outlets too "thick."

You can now purchase outlet receptacles which are child-safe:

"Tamper-resistant receptacles have built-in shutter systems that prevent foreign objects from touching electrically live components when they're inserted into the slots. The shutters protect against electrical burns without impairing normal plug insertion, removal or function."

Basically if something is inserted into one of the slots, it won't allow an electrical connection. (If something, like a plug, is inserted into two slots at the same time, the connection can be made. They aren't foolproof, but they avoid the most common problem -- a child sticking something into one of the holes.)

The receptacles are/will be required in all new construction. You can purchase them (they cost a few cents more than regular ones) and have them installed/install them yourself (if you're comfortable working with electrical outlets). When we remodeled our house we requested that they be installed in all new outlets.

More info:
    http://www.childsafetyoutlet.org/index.html