Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post

The only time I go to the PO is when I absolutely have to (mailing a 1st class packages over 13 oz, etc).
    If you print the postage online, you can still leave those packages out for your carrier--I do it all the time. I mail a lot of Priority Flat Rate Envelopes for my home business and they are always over 13 oz. I use Click N Ship on www.usps.com to print my labels/postage and then put them out for pick up.

It's only STAMPED mail over 13 oz that has to be handed to a postal employee.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I thought you could only do that if you had at least one package being sent priority mail? (I'd love for this to not be true....)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mailbox, we only run to the PO if we missed the mailman or it's something urgent that needs to be sent out ASAP.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I thought you could only do that if you had at least one package being sent priority mail? (I'd love for this to not be true....)
    You can request Carrier Pickup only if you have at least one package going Priority.

To be honest, I've never left a non Priority package out without requesting pick up, so I'm not sure. I mostly send Priority stuff and even then I don't bother requesting the pick up most times. My carrier still takes it.

The one time I had a non Priority package going out, I had a few Priority things going as well, so I was able to do the request. Good thing cuz my Parcel Post box was large and weighed 20 lbs.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Is the box attached to your house locked? If so, I think you are right, its fine to put stuff inside.
    If it was locked, how would the mailman get stuff out? Is there some universal key only postal workers have? This is interesting.

I dunno, I'm not that concerned about mail theft, especially since my mailbox is attached to my house. Plus I live in a pretty densely populated neighborhood. To steal my mail would take a lot of chaputz. Perhaps I'd feel less secure with in a rural / isolated location with a box on the roadway.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I always leave outgoing mail in our mailbox.

The kids fight over who gets to do it. They also fight over who gets
    to check the mail.

Usually, all 3 of us are running to the mailbox!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

I have to drop it in a red mailbox or take it to the postal outlet/post office.

Carriers here walk the route only. They don't start and end their shifts at the post office like they do in other places. They also don't drive around in trucks. Not sure if this is a Canadian thing or a big city thing, but probably more of a big city thing. Our carrier, for instance, takes the bus to our neighborhood, then unlocks the mail from a grey box where it was previously dropped off by truck. He then puts it in his bag and walks it around the neighborhood. When he's done, he gets back on the bus and goes home.

I believe that you can arrange for package pickup and print the labels online, but package delivery comes from the carrier in the truck, not the carrier on foot. Mail carriers on foot carry lettermail only.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

We have a slot on our house and I clothespin the outgoing mail to the slot lid, if that makes any sense.

If I have more than 1 package, I drop it off in the big bin at the PO (next to the APS, or whatever it's called, love that thing!).

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    I usually drop my mail off at a mail slot at work. I only leave things in my mailbox once in a while. I do pay most (but not all) bills online.
    Same here. If I miss the mail pickup at work I do have two PO that "can" be on my way from work if I detour a few blocks off my route.

I take packages to the PO either near work or home as we're talking maybe five packages a year.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    If it was locked, how would the mailman get stuff out? Is there some universal key only postal workers have? This is interesting.

I dunno, I'm not that concerned about mail theft, especially since my mailbox is attached to my house. Plus I live in a pretty densely populated neighborhood. To steal my mail would take a lot of chaputz. Perhaps I'd feel less secure with in a rural / isolated location with a box on the roadway.
    I live in a densely populated neighborhood with mailboxes attached to the house right by the front door (not locked). I would normally agree with you (and in the past have left my outgoing mail in the box), but just yesterday someone reported a woman going through mailboxes on my neighborhood yahoo group. shrug. So now I don't know!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast