Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default What are your thoughts on bed rails?

SHould I get one for DS1 if we convert his crib to a toddler bed? He moves a lot at night, so I am pretty sure he will fall off the bed if we don't have one. Are they safe though?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Default Priceless!

We have had various models at home and grandparents, they all serve the same purpose. E sleeps right up against it every night. For some reason he hugs the outside edge of his bed (we tried flipping him around.)

I highly recommend having them. They do have a limited life. #1 lost it when #2 needed it (almost 1 and 3.) I don't see us taking it off when E turns 3.

We did break one, but that was due to the boys roughhousing a bit. I think I bought that one at a garage sale.

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We've had a lot of falling out of bed incidences among our friends and neighbors recently. And these are 5 and 6 year olds who've been in their beds for years. The worst one is the little boy across the street who fell out - onto carpeted floor - and broke his arm in 2 places, bone through the skin. He didn't fall onto anything - just the floor - and wasn't awake so wasn't trying to catch his fall. Just hit it the wrong way. My DD cut her face and had dermabond and now a scar.

We used to have rails but had taken them down. The rails can help, but they can still fall out at the gaps (happened to us, very scary b/c she was stuck.) The biggest thing is no boxsprings. Makes the bed much lower to the ground and safer. And make sure there's no nightstand or other funiture/toys nearby for them to hit if they fall.

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just took a big beach towel, rolled it up and stuck it under her fitted sheet at the edge of her bed. Worked like a charm!
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the safety 1st model although I can't see it on their website.

http://tinyurl.com/m5747o
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

I have rails on my older daughter's bed. I only have one left up now (she's 6), but used both when she was younger. She has a pillowtop mattress and my old bed frame and it is up really really high (higher than my bed). Anyway, she doesn't sleep up against the rail, but she likes knowing it is there. She did fall out of her bed (before the pillowtop mattress) once when she was about 3.

I also have a rail on my side of my bed because my younger daughter often moves to our bed in the middle of the night and she HATES covers and I LOVE covers. So, if she sleeps in the middle, we get no covers. I put her on the side against the rail and I can use the sheet and she doesn't have to have it touch her. She does sleep up against the rail sometimes, but I'm very aware of her (and she typically has her legs thrown across my side).

I'm pretty sure both of my rails said to NOT use on a toddler bed and that you need a box spring to use. I've also wondered about converting our crib into a toddler bed (my little one is almost 3), but I think she'd flop right out of it, so we'll just leave the side of the crib on for now. The older one doesn't want to try sharing her full size bed with the flopper either.

There are also dangers to using rails. Entrapment is a big one (also a problem in hospitals). SUffocation, strangulation, etc. I would NOT use rails for too young of a child/baby, especially if they sleep alone or for one that sleeps so soundly, etc.

We had one for the first but after I found her laying between the bedrail and mattress one morning, I took it off. Scary!

I used a rolled up beach towel under the sheet for the other two. It worked great! A pool noodle would work wonderfully too! Wish I'd heard of that when I had ones that needed one.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

The rolled up beach towel is a great idea! Thank you ladies!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I'm pretty sure both of my rails said to NOT use on a toddler bed and that you need a box spring to use. I've also wondered about converting our crib into a toddler bed (my little one is almost 3), but I think she'd flop right out of it, so we'll just leave the side of the crib on for now.

There are also dangers to using rails. Entrapment is a big one (also a problem in hospitals). SUffocation, strangulation, etc. I would NOT use rails for too young of a child/baby, especially if they sleep alone or for one that sleeps so soundly, etc.
    Thanks for all this information! I was worried about entrapment and see that my fear is not unfounded.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS2 uses one when we travel. He will fall out if we don't (and has multiple times). At home he's in a toddler bed with the little rail that goes about halfway down and that is enough. I always put it with plenty of room from the head and foot of the bed and tuck the sheets in on that side. I don't know that I would use one on a converted crib, though, as it would be about the same length as the crib mattress.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast