Default Confused about cribs

I like the idea of a convertible crib, plus I like the way they look. But I'm not sure it would really be useful in my case because I don't have room for a double bed for my future baby, so that feature would go to waste since baby would eventually be in a twin. I don't like the idea of a dropside because of safety issues, but I'm on the shorter side, 5'0" and I'm afraid without a dropside I would have to drop the baby when putting him/her in the crib when the crib is on the lower mattress settings. I'm really confused as to what kind of crib to get. Please advise!

Gene is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

IMHO:

Convertible cribs are a waste of money. Unless you plan on using everything in the room for twenty years, don't bother. Plus, I don't like the look of many of the beds made from cribs. And true about the twin bed. The furniture (not crib) that goes in my room happens to be from BabiesRUs (or something like it), but it basically is a armoire and low dresser (changing table) I bought on CL years ago and used as *MY* bedroom furniture until moving it into the nursery when I became pregnant. So don't buy a crib just because it can convert to a bed. You may never use it.

Dropsides: I dislike them and always have. They were (for years) SO popular, but I always considered them unsafe. Now, with the recalls, they are being seen as less safe than solid sides. However, I also have to say that I am 5'10 and can easily bend over a crib. Regarding dropping, the mattress will be on the highest setting until your baby can sit up. So not far to drop. Afterwards, you can put your kiddo down while s/he is standing up and then s/he can lie down. BUT, you may want to look for a shorter crib. Ikea's highly rated crib (can't remember the name) is shorter than average. Also, many cribs have a dip in the front/center panel that may make it easier for you to access your kid. Here are some "dip" cribs (not that I recommend them, it's just a style):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3340433
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3012851
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3574872

Good luck!

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We bought 2 convertible cribs (both very reasonable, less than 250 for one, 100 for the other) that included all the pieces necessary. We used the toddler bed for DD and then the headboard and will with DS's crib too. DD was also in her crib when DS came along and so we didnt' want to kick her out of hers and it matched her change dresser. DS's crib came from KMart and to be honest it's very nice.

I am 4'10" and I did use the drop side. I didn't use it until my kids were older and we dropped the mattress but it was nice as I couldn't reach the mattress (I usually put my kids to bed awake so it wasn't an issue but we are often out and they fall alseep in jammies in the car and I transfer them to bed so it was nice to not wake them...).

Our cribs didn't seem to have any issue with the drop side.

One of the reason's we bought them though was because we like how they looked...the fact that they were convertible's just worked for us.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm 5'0" and I got a dropside for that reason. In my case I didn't really use it that much-- when the mattress was set higher I didn't really need it, and once DD was standing she seemed to like being put in the crib standing and then get herself settled in the crib, and she stands up when I come to get her out.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07