Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Attire for party?

As DC's upcoming 1st birthday party is quite formal, is it ok for me to put in the invitation on the attire? Like casual but no flip flop or short? I don't want to be rude. What would be an appropriate way to address this in the invitation. I will be wearing a nice cocktail dress. TIA!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well personally I would hate to show up at a party in flip flops and a tank top when the hostess was wearing a cocktail dress LOL, so I would definitely let people know! Definitely have the invite indicate that it's formal with formal attire.

And having now seen this thread DO NOT invite the older siblings of DC#1's friends!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

ITA to make it very obvious on the invitation....especially for something like a 1st birthday which I would probably just assume is very casual unless otherwise indicated.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    ITA to make it very obvious on the invitation....especially for something like a 1st birthday which I would probably just assume is very casual unless otherwise indicated.
    Yes, definitely. I also agree about no older siblings if it's a formal party.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yeah, if I was invited to a child's b-day party I would never dream of getting dressed up for it. You need to include that sort of info on the invite b/c it most likely won't be common knowledge to dress up. But, maybe that is the norm in your social circle. Either way I would say something so there is no confusion.

Beth

I don't expect my guests to dress up. But I hope they don't wear flip flop or short. So, can I just say "No flip flop or short please."

Just curious- what kind of invitation are you sending out? If its a more formal style invitation, people might realize on their own. If its a cutesy invitation, people definitely won't realize. Then again, you probably don't want to count on people figuring it out for themselves. I think its fine to write it straight out. Is there a theme to the party? Maybe you could mention the proper attire with a cute one-liner tied to the theme?

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd go with 'Business Casual Attire' rather than saying no this or that. They might think it is a reference to the gift! HAHAHA! Ok, just kidding...

And ITA with the PP who said not to invite DC1's friends/siblings. This is DC2's party after all, and I can't imagine a bunch of 6 year olds in scratchy outfits behaving particularly well.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

stella is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am curious about the formal nature of this party. Is it at night? What will the guest of honor wear? Is it at your home or another location? Are you serving dinner? cocktails? hors d'oeuvres?

I do think you'll go far by the sort of invitation you send, but you may have to specify no shorts or flip-flops since that is pretty standard dress around here.

tell us more!

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stella View Post
    I am curious about the formal nature of this party. Is it at night? What will the guest of honor wear? Is it at your home or another location? Are you serving dinner? cocktails? hors d'oeuvres?

Tell!Tell!!
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast