lks is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Bumbleride FLyer 2009?? Need Opinions!!!

I am a first-time mom (or will be in 4ish months!) and I am totally fixated on the stroller decision. I am almost positive I want the Bumbleride Flyer 2009 in Seagrass, but I have not talked to any moms who actually have this stroller. I would love feedback from people who have the 2009 Flyer or know moms who do or generally have any info that could help me.

I am pretty aware of the positive features and LOVE that the handlebar is reversible. BUT, I have also heard that it doesn't steer well when the handlebar is reversed and baby is facing me, but when I "test-drove" it around the block at the store, the salesperson explained how you need to lock the 2 wheels closest to you when you reverse the handle and that many parents don't do this - causing the steering problem. For the few blocks we strolled, the steering seemed fine, but I am dying to hear from actual owners!!!

I don't want to spend above about $375, and the Bumbleride 2009 Flyer comes in at $359. I don't know of any other strollers that have all of the Flyer's features at that price, but I am open to suggestions.

HELP!!!!

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hmmm cool stroller but i heard it steers really poorly and that becomes SUPER important after the baby's born, may not seem like a big deal now. I've also seen many in person and they seem a big big to me, almost like those large gracos. I would look at other options too- inglesina zippy, baby jogger city classic or mini, or a peg si for something mroe compact. For rear facing, i would really go with a bugaboo- the resale value is pretty high so you'll get most of your money back. Keep in mind if you go with a larger stroller, you are going to feel it's too big once the baby gets close to one....most do

We have the 09 in Seagrass, and really like it for the most part. The steering is a bit more difficult in the rear facing position but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. We don't use the stroller a ton - I tend to wear my LO when we're out and about - so most of the use has been on walks, and it does great there. All of my friends are big travel system proponents and made fun of me for buying a more expensive stroller, but we took J on a 4 mile walk around a lake when he was a week old and were able to keep him out of the sun the entire time by flipping the handle back and forth. The few times I've taken it into the mall/stores, I will say that it is difficult to steer one handed if the handle is reversed. And getting used to locking the "back" wheels was a little difficult, but not anymore.

So would I buy it again? Honestly, probably not. It is a beautiful color and I don't have any major problems with using it, but I do think that for a bit more money we could have gotten a stroller that steers more easily. In the end it isn't that big of a deal bc a)like I said, we don't use it inside a lot (and the steering is fine for going straight, but if you're trying to take sharp turns with the handle reversed, it can be difficult) and b) we're going to hopefully have baby #2 by the time J is 18 months or so, so we'll be trading up for a double stroller.

I think we got ours for $325 shipped from www.elitecarseats.com. They even had an "insurance" policy you could buy for an extra $5 where they would pay the return shipping if you didn't like it - a must for us because we purchased it without test driving it first.

I'm not on here a ton, but feel free to ask me any other questions you have about the stroller!

I checked out the Bumbleride when we were stroller hunting because it's one of the few strollers that accommodates a Chicco KeyFit. I quickly ruled it out, though, because it seemed bulky and the steering was not very smooth. Although, I was directly comparing it to a BOB Revolution, which IMO has the best steering around, so it probably wasn't going to get many high remarks from me as a result of that comparison!

I live in a urban area with lots of kiddos around and have only ever seen one Bumbleride in my neighborhood in Chicago. Most people have either a Bugaboo or BOB, with some Baby Joggers thrown in the mix. To me, that says a lot. Personally, I could list a few other strollers with better reviews to pluck $300 plus down on, but if it works for you due to the reversible handlebar option then go for it!

lks is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Thanks EML! More Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by eml569 View Post
    We have the 09 in Seagrass, and really like it for the most part. The steering is a bit more difficult in the rear facing position but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. The few times I've taken it into the mall/stores, I will say that it is difficult to steer one handed if the handle is reversed. And getting used to locking the "back" wheels was a little difficult, but not anymore.
    Thanks EML569! Regarding what you said above, how difficult was the steering (either one-handed or both) when you are in stores? I think I am sold on it, but this is my one concern, since I have read about steering issues. I did hear they corrected the major problems for the 2009 Flyer, but you saying it is still difficult does concern me a bit. Since I am not planning to have a 2nd baby so close to the 1st, I don't think we will need a double any time soon. So, do you still think it's a waste?? Is it made well?? Does your baby like it? THANKS SO MUCH!!!

My kid is fine with it. He's been in it since 7 days old and has never complained. It seems pretty comfy! Here's the thing with steering and this stroller - if you've never owned and used another one, it won't be a big deal, but if you've ever had another stroller this one will bug you. I dont' know anything different, so I pilot this thing in a way that enables me to get out of tight spots without turning it like most people would. Does that make sense? The only problem comes up when I'm in a small area (like going to a Sephora store or a place with tight aisles) and need to turn around while the handle is flipped. You have to be mindful of where you are going. I definitely can't steer it one handed with the handle flipped - it just doesn't work without a lot of tension on my wrist, and it isn't comfortable for me that way.
    But I do feel like it is a very well made and good looking stroller. And I love the reversible handle. Here's what it would come down to for me in the end....is this mostly going to be a outdoor walking/zoo stroller? Or is it going to used mostly in malls and stores with tight spaces? If you're planning on using this for a good time period, I would probably look into spending a bit more and getting something that steers a little better, if you're going to be using it indoors mostly. I dont' think I would go so far to a Bugaboo or similar, but there has to be something in between!
    Here's my best advice for deciding if the steering will be a problem for you in the long run (and you'll feel stupid doing this, but it will save you some grief in the end). Go back to the store where you first test drove it, but take a big bag of potatoes (at least 10-15 pounds worth). Take your diaper bag - if you've bought one - and fill it with stuff at home so it weighs at least 5 or so lbs. Drape the bag over the handle, put the potatoes in the seat, and wheel it around. Then reverse the handle and do the same thing. Try it one handed too. Then try tight turns in the aisles. Attempt the same with another stroller, just to see what the difference is. Then make your decision.

I hope some of my rambling has helped! I love the stroller bc of it's styling and so want to be able to recommend it to everyone, but there are still some kinks that need to be worked out. If you can live with them (as we are able to) then it's a great stroller, but if your needs are different then you'll probably get frustrated with it. Good luck!