Default Implanon, anyone??

I am looking for some semi-permanent contraception and my ob/gyn recommended Implanon. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Pros/cons?

Thanks!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Is that a third generation contraceptive? I honestly don't know much about it, but I just read a story about a 34 year old non smoking mom who died of a blood clot from a third generation contraceptive (Nuvaring I think?). Her husband started looking into it and is very frustrated w/ the potential safety/risks associated w/ these third generation compounds. The article explained how there are some concerns that the third generation contraceptives may have increased risks but no major benefits over some of their predecessors. I haven't looked into it extensively or anything, but if you are considering it, I'd look into issues w/ the third generation stuff if that is indeed one of those compounds. Totally not something I've delved into, just fresh on my mind because I read the story yesterday.

I am an educator for Planned Parenthood. I personally use a Mirena IUD. Here are my thoughts:

The IUD is about the same price as Implanon but it lasts for 5 or 10 years.

If you are done having kids either one would be fine. If you might want to have more kids, the IUD is immediately reversable.

I think Implanon is a progestin only method (I know I should know this but I work mostly with teens who are not really a target audience for this). Do you have any experience with that? Ask your MD--does it have the side effects of either no periods or periods all the time. That is a deal breaker for many people. With the Mirena, I rarely have a period--and it is minimal at that.

But the IUD may not work for you if you have fibroids etc. I would ask your MD why the recco for Implanon vs. an IUD.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I looked into it about a year and a half ago but couldn't find an OB near me who was certified to do the insertion. My midwife's backup OB tried to get info from the company for MONTHS with no luck. I thought that was a pretty bad sign. I went with another Mirena instead.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

thanks for the input! my ob/gyn really talked it up while i was in office. i am still not 100% on it though. we have to do something soon. i just weaned our 7 month old and AF is baaaaccckk!! ugh!
    i don't have any special concerns or health issues. doc just said that mirena was "really" marketed well, and that he mainly performed the implanon injection.
    you have to wonder about how well the drug companies push for doctors to recommend one treatment over another...i'm just sayin

if only someone at dh's work had not told him a "horror" snipping story...