WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Dining Plan- Care to share your schedule?

We are trying to put together a trip to WDW in November, and we just started our research. I know dining reservations can be made 90 days in advance, and our time frame is quickly approaching. The problem is, since we just started researching, I haven't had a chance to really think this through, and I have no idea how to schedule our time. Anyone care to share their park schedule and dining plans?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think you need to start with park hours and events and go from there.

For example, if you want to see Wishes, they may only be on one or two nights of your trip, so you would want to plan to stay or go late to the MK that day. Similarly, check to see when Fantasmic is on (if you want to see that) etc.

Also, if you will be there for a week, you may want to take a day in the middle and plan to not go to the parks and just hang out at the resort or go to a water park.

After you look at those things, you will kind of see what days would appear to be better days for doing what parks and then plan meals around that.

Many people go to the MK their first day and then plan to go back again later in the trip in order to do favs again or do what you didn't get to the first time. It's pretty much impossible to do all of the MK in a single day, so planning to go there twice is a good thing.

Also, remember that it can take a significant amount of time out of your prime touring hours day (early morning) to do a late breakfast or an early lunch. Personally, I prefer early breakfasts and/or late lunches that can practically double as early dinner.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We only did a short trip, so I don't have many tips (we went last November). We did Crystal Palace for dinner one evening - it was fun. My girls were worn out, so I didn't mind taking a break from the park, but it does use up a lot of time. They girls loved the characters.

We did Tusker House breakfast one morning before AK opened and LOVED it. I would definitely do it again, and would actually try to schedule breakfasts at every park before it opens when/if we go back! (If I can convince dh to wake up early every morning!)

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm still refining this schedule after I read stuff but so far this is what we have. We are going Oct 13-18.
    13th- Arrive, plan to go to Studios late afternoon, this was the only day they were doing Fantasmic that we could go. We plan to the the Fantasmic dinner package at Hollywood & Vine.

14th - Studios again, we have a huge Toy Story fan so I know we won't be able to fit those things in the first day since we get there so late. Dinner at Sci-Fi Diner.

15th - MK, right now we have lunch scheduled at Crystal Palace, but if we decide to do the Halloween Party we may change this to an early dinner. Still deciding about this day because from what I've read if you do the Halloween party you don't want to be at the park all day because you're exhausted for the party.

16th - AK, we have Donald's safari breakfast scheduled here, but again this depends on the Halloween party, not sure we could get up early enough to make breakfast after being at MK late. AK is open late for Magic Hours so we hope to take advantage of that.

17th - MK again. We had planned to leave early evening and have dinner at Planet Hollywood. But we if do that we will miss Wishes. We didn't see this last time. Is it worth staying late for?

We didn't do the dining plan last time and it is a lot of work. Last time we only did a couple of character meals and we just had to plan around those. But with the dining plan you have to schedule the whole trip around your meals. I definitely think its cheaper because we spent a lot on food the last time we went. It's just more work.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have 2 big tips:
    1. Consider getting a Tour Guide Mike subscription. It will help you understand how to really tour efficiently, and will keep you waiting in line times minimal. He outlines the best/worst parks for each day, and that's really good info to have. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes. If you go through the banner ad on disboards it saves you $3 (I think it's $18 then). Trust me, it's worth every penny. It also has a lot of restaurant info (so does allears.net).

2. Eat where you are!!!!! Be smarter than we were last year, and take that advice. LOL Sure, going to Italy for dinner after a day at AK sounds good now, but when you have to walk that additional 2 miles, you be cursing Walt up one side and down the other. Ask me how I know.

I also second whoever said to be careful about late breakfasts/early lunches. We'll only do b'fast before opening, b/c being at the park at rope drop is the best thing ever.

Here's our tentative schedule. I'm in a tough spot b/c our trip is mainly at the begining of Dec, and park hours probably won't be out until Sept. 1st- our ADR window opens on Aug 31. . I've looked at the TG Mike schedule from last year though, and I at least have a rough idea of which parks we'll probably do on which days. I'll make our ADR's at 6 am on the 31st, and if I have to change anything, I'll just hope for the best.

Sun 11/29- Arrive. Easy day, maybe do 1 or 2 rides at MK. Hoop De Doo for dinner at 5:30.

Mon 11/30-Epcot (no TS this day b/c HDDR uses 2 credits)

Tues 12/1-MK- Ohana's for b'fast, earliest ADR I can get

Wed 12/2-DHS-Sci Fi for a late lunch

Thurs 12/3-Epcot- Kona This breaks my rule, I know, but we'll likely take an extended break this day- I'm hoping to catch Illuminations this night.

Fri 12/4-AK- earliest ADR at Tusker House breakfast

Sat 12/5-MK-Crystal Palace breakfast, earliest possible
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Here is what I am planning:
    Day 1 -- MK -- Park Fare (d)
    Day 2 -- MK -- Chef Mickey's (b) Counter Service (l) Cinderalla's Table (d)
    Day 3 -- AK -- Donald Safari (b) Counter Service (l) Hoop De Doo (d) book OOP with cat 1 seat
    Day 4 -- MK -- Counter Service Main street bakery (b) Crystal Palace (l) Whispering Canyon Café
    Day 5 -- Epcot -- Princess storybook dining (b) Coral Reef/Kona's (d)
    Day 6 --DHS -- Ohana's (b) Holywood and Vine (l) Ohana's (d)
    Day 7 --Park Fare (b) If we stay for dinner -- DTD with t-rex

Since you asked
    /hillary
    Last edited by hillview; 07-30-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: formatting
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post

Here's our tentative schedule. I'm in a tough spot b/c our trip is mainly at the begining of Dec, and park hours probably won't be out until Sept. 1st- our ADR window opens on Aug 31. . I've looked at the TG Mike schedule from last year though, and I at least have a rough idea of which parks we'll probably do on which days. I'll make our ADR's at 6 am on the 31st, and if I have to change anything, I'll just hope for the best.

Lori,
    We are going to be in WDW on your exact same dates!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie