dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How to baby proof marble fireplace

I am trying to figure out what to use on the fireplace that will provide the most protection to my daughter. We have a marble fireplace but the "hearth" is level with the carpet so the traditional products won't work. How can I make this safe for my daughter?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hmmmm, I wonder if you could find an area rug to cover it that wouldn't look completely out of place? Are you just concerned about the floor part, or the actual fireplace as well?

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just the floor part for right now.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If it is the same level as the carpet, I wouldn't be very concerned about it. It is going to be like walking on any hard floor. The biggest worry with fireplace hearths is the raised ones where they have pointy brick corners to dent little heads. If it really concerns you, get a bathmat or area rug to put over it.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

They make hearth rugs that are safe to use around a fireplace.....my parents always had one in front of their raised hearth to catch any embers....I know you aren't planning a fire anytime soon but for future use you'd know it would be safe to keep there!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Smile

We hired a baby proofing company and they actually set up a "hearthgate" which is basically a gate that encloses the entire fireplace including the marble hearth. That way the baby is protected from the hard surface and the fireplace itself. The "gate" attaches to the wall on on either side of the fireplace. If you check out this link to the kidco website, you will see a picture like what we have: http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erube_...70&kidco.bc=gc

Good luck!