Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How old for jogging stroller?

At what age/size did you first use a jogging stroller with your child?

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

depends on the joggers recline- if it's flat or almost flat you could use from birth as long as your just walking on smoother surfaces. if you're actually going to be jogging i think you're supposed to wait until 9 months or so?? I;m not sure as i don't jog!!!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I started using my jogger with the infant insert for walking at three weeks, the jogger had an almost flat recline. I am much more of a fast walker but didn't actually jog with her in it until she was 8 mos. old when I did my first jogging 5K. DD was about 17lbs then. I my jogger and would've been lost without it; it was $300 worth of therapy bills at least

A friend of mine full on ran with his son in the Bob Revolution jogger and the car seat adaptor when he was around 6 mos. old. He wouldn't have done it if he didn't think it was safe.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Default Thank you

Thanks for the input. I signed up for a 5K tomorrow and would like to bring my DS - he is just over 5 mo and almost 20 lbs already. He is pretty sturdy in the BOB and I don't run very fast - probably shouldn't even call it running, but I'm going for it. Thanks again.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just FYI, the recommendation is to wait until they are at least a year old before you jog with them so that their spines and brains are able to withstand the jostling.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

i started run/walking with my daughter around 3-4 weeks on smoothed paths. we have a chariot. i did a race with her when she was 2.5 months old. she was a big baby and had a lot of head control. it probably depends on the baby and what kind of path you're running.

Quote Originally Posted by ariveraz View Post
    Just FYI, the recommendation is to wait until they are at least a year old before you jog with them so that their spines and brains are able to withstand the jostling.
    This is what I've been told, as well, by a couple of different peds.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

1 year for actual running/jogging. You can walk with the stroller sooner than that of course. This information may be dated to back when Joggers only had a sling seat but it's what my pediatrician recommends for outdoor, bumpy surfaces.
    Last edited by kijip; 08-01-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

1 year? wow. I'd never heard that, I always thought 6 months, but I have no idea where I got that one either. Hope it's okay at 6 months, I don't think I could wait another 6. Like previous said, probably depends on the trail, your speed, and probably the stroller. If it's got good shocks it will help make the ride nice and smooth. I know I"ve heard they need to be a year before you can bike with a baby, but that seems about right as bike riding can be pretty josling (spelling?)

I don't mean to offend anyone, but. . . .I have never heard of a ped recommending jogging before a year. We're talking about their brains--literally. While an infant may have head control in a stationary position, it requires a lot more strength and muscle control to provide the same stability while moving at a fast pace in a stroller.

The effect of that higher level of movement is shaking of the brain inside the skull. The brain will bang up against the skull over and over again. Most jogging strollers are quite smooth, but there is a reason the rec is for a year. There is still the distinct possibility of hitting a rock, sudden stop, bump in the sidewalk, etc leading to a large jolt and possible damage.

Of course every parent needs to make their own decisions, but I wanted to add this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast