Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are you ever "that" parent?

I am definitely feeling my age with this pregnancy and not at my best. I had several errands to run today and took the boys with me. They did extremely well getting in and out of the van, behaving and being patient in Target, Costco and Nordstrom Rack while I shopped, not begging for silly treats while in line etc. They were getting fidgety by the time we hit Walmart and while I was standing there trying to figure out why I had heard the Evenflo HBB was not great (my Target was out of boy colored Gracos and I did not like the color of Walmart's), they started running around the aisle chasing one another. For the first five minutes there was no one in our area so I just let it go, but then someone came up and DS2 almost ran into her cart. I got "that" look. The look didn't bother me, I know exactly what she was thinking - why was I letting my two year old run around? I just laughed to myself realizing she was thinking I am "that" mother. I felt fine about it in the "pick your battles" parenting I try to engage in. They were bored, they had been good for a long time, we still had to hit the grocery store and we were closing in on lunch time. Blowing off a little steam for ten minutes in Walmart could make the difference in how the grocery store run went.
    Ah, real life experience - I know I've given other moms "that" look even up until DS1 was old enough to really have a mind of his own.
    Are you evern "that" parent?
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yup.

Last summer when I too was bulging pregnant with #3 but in a crazed nesting streak I was doing the stocking up shopping at BJs with the boys. A 4 and 2 year old in the racing car cart is hard to steer anyway but add in their penchant for slapping each other around 5 minutes into the trip and I knew I needed to get in and out quickly. By the end of the trip the 4 year old was whining that his brother was bothering him and the 2 year old was in tears. I was pushing the cart and my huge belly to the checkout counter thinking, "these people are probably wondering why I'm having another!"

As I approached the cashier lanes, it was like the red sea parting. It seems everyone took pity on me (or wanted me out ASAP) so they all left one lane for the poor pregnant woman open. It's definitely better now but I remember those days when I see another overwhelmed mom at the store.

My favorite interactions are the knowing glances from older people who've been there done that with little kids.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm probably "that parent" to someone on a very regular basis. And honestly, I'm OK with that. My kids aren't perfect. I do as best I can but there is always going to be someone for whom that is not enough. Either they don't have kids, they had kids so long ago that they have forgotten what it is like or they are the smug judgmental type. But hey, if my parenting makes them feel better about themselves then so be it.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

BTDT! I have totally been that Mom. So many times I think to myself... oh, before I was a parent I would have told myself "my kids will never do x y z"... So many of those expectations/ideas went right out the window once I had kids!

As a side note... You are BRAVE! I don't think I could manage my 2 kiddos and being a pregnant mama and hitting Target, Costco and Nordstrom Rack ... let alone following up with Walmart and the grocery store!!!! WOW! My kids are good for a couple of stores and then all h*ll breaks loose! LOL

That would have been me yesterday at the outlet mall with the 3 kids, 2 of them in the double stroller, with Joshua running around in circles and Hannah trying to climb out the stroller at act up with her brother. And people looking at me with the newborn wondering what I was thinking having a third. Oh well.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

My dd hit a hard stage a few months ago and my ds has started to act 2 already. I know people look at my big belly and think "what the heck was she thinking?". Oh well, they are only little once.

And I too think you were very brave even attempting to do all that with the kids.
    Mama to 3

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes. All.the.time.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes I am that parent. My kids generally behave but they have breaking points like all kids. I get the look all the time, sometimes I get it just walking around with three kids cuz no one these days has that many. Ugh it's annoying...whatever...I'm the one that takes them home and deals with them not the "lookers" so really I don't care what they think.

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I feel like I am "that" mom all the time. We go out and I feel like I am a walking spectacle. My boys are very active, and while they're not being "bad," they are definitely not walking by my side quietly.

They race around more than they should, they all try to talk to me at the same time and no, they're not quiet, and they laugh and play with each other, often very loudly. Sometimes they argue with one another and get loud and embarass me. I try...oh, how I try...to reign them in and calm them down. But they are just very, very, very high energy and I get looks. I don't allow them to be a nuisance, but just their very presence is probably a nuisance to some. I see moms with very demure, quiet children (usually girls) looking at us like they are animals. Trust me, I do not accept bad behavior, but it's a fine line and there are moms who I think would think their behavior is bad, depending on the nature of their children. I cannot change their personalities and it's futile to try.

We went bowling with friends yesterday and in the lane next to us were two moms with two daughters each. The girls seemed more like little adults to me. Each took a turn, they'd turn and give a sweet little smile if they'd done well, and then sit back down. They were SO QUIET! Our boys, OTOH, would hoot and holler and high-five each other after each ball, pretend they were rock stars and play air guitar with lots of theatrics, and just TALK loudly. I can only say "Shhhhh!" so many times. They're not misbehaving, they're just being kids. At least I think so.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post

As a side note... You are BRAVE! I don't think I could manage my 2 kiddos and being a pregnant mama and hitting Target, Costco and Nordstrom Rack ... let alone following up with Walmart and the grocery store!!!! WOW! My kids are good for a couple of stores and then all h*ll breaks loose! LOL

LOL. I had very specific items to get at each place so it was not a "browsing" or stocking up trip. Otherwise I would have left at least one if not both at home. DH had a lot to get done so I was trying to help him out - and it was one of those trips where if we didn't get to everything it would have been fine. Believe me, I would have abandoned ship if they were having a "high energy" day and headed for the park.
    Last edited by alexsmommy; 08-29-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast