Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default P&PT needed for a friend--Updated 8/29

I can't believe I have to post this, again, as many of you probably remember my posts about my friend Ragan, who died nearly two years ago now of breast cancer. She was diagnosed at her 6 week pp appt and was gone within a year.

Well, yesterday, my good friend Amy was diagnosed with breast cancer. At 36 weeks pregnant with DS2.

I just can't believe this is happening again. I want to kick and scream and tear things apart. It's just not fair.

The good news is that, although they haven't been able to do all the testing due to her pregnancy, at least so far it seems like her situation is very hopeful. It's a pea-size tumor, in only one breast. They're fairly confident that it's only in that breast, and very hopeful that it hasn't spread yet.

The plan currently is to induce baby Ty at 38 weeks, get the rest of the testing done that week, and then have surgery (mastectomy/reconstruction) within 1-2 weeks. She's hopeful that she may be able to avoid at least radiation, and possibly chemo as well, but obviously won't know until they have the full picture.

So, please, ladies, if ever a situation needed that powerful BBB mojo, this is it. Whatever you've got, please send it Amy's way. And once again, a not-so-gentle reminder to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do your self-exams. They're SO terribly important.

---------------------------------------
    I posted later in the thread, but wanted to put it up here at the top, as well. Amy gave birth to baby Ty last Monday, and they are both doing great. She was able to get the pain-med-free birth that she wanted, even with the early induction. She also got the results of the genetic testing and found out that she is BRCA negative, what a huge relief!

She goes in tomorrow, Friday the 28th, for her double mastectomy, and will then start chemo as soon as she's recovered enough from that, probably within 2-3 weeks. Please keep those thoughts and prayers coming...she's just starting the really hard part of this journey.

-----------------------------------------
    I finally got an email update from Amy's DH. I've been waiting, knowing I wouldn't be able to sleep until I heard something. She is finally resting in her room. The surgery took much longer than expected due to the complications from her milk coming and the fact that the cancer had spread to more lymph nodes than expected. The good news is that it doesn't really affect her treatment plan, it just means that they will need to be more vigilant against spreading/recurrence. Now she gets to recover before chemo starts.

I love the fact that her DH said she was already giving the nurses a hard time about only allowing her saltines to eat. That's my Amy!

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers today, they are SO appreciated. How can she NOT get better when she has the power of the internet behind her?!
    Last edited by tylersmama; 08-29-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

Oh, how sad! At least she's quite far along in the pregnancy so they can begin treatment quickly. I will be saying lots of P&PT for your friend and her family
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

hugs to you and your dear friend. Sending P&PT
    mommy to DD 1/07

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Heaven help her! Sending P&PTs!
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

P+PT for your good friend. So glad it was caught early.
    Thank you for the reminder.
    K

May God bless her and I hope it all turns out fine. Stay strong for her as she will need you in this time.

Lots of prayers coming her way.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Many P & PT for your friend.
    DD
    DS

Kitten007 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Lots of P & PT. Will have my mom and sisters pray too.
    Two Crazy Boys and A Baby Girl!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

P & PT for you and your friend!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast