View Poll Results: do you have/use an outdoor shower?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • have/use

5 18.52%
  • have/don't use

2 7.41%
  • don't have/want one

9 33.33%
  • don't have/are you crazy?

11 40.74%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

BIL owns a house on the cape and has an outdoor shower. We LOVE it when we go there and actually thought of installing one at our house (north of Boston). It just isn't the same though. I'm sure our neighbors would have thought we were crazy!! (besides the fact there isn't a door on the side of the house where we would want it!!)

I think it takes a little bit to get used to using one but that it's so cool once you get over the fear of someone seeing you through the wood! LOL
    Colleen
    Mom to 2 DS (5/'04 and 1/'09)

Ok, this may be a silly question, but do you regularly shower outside when you have an outdoor shower (as in, get up in the morning, head outside for your shower) or are you using it as a rinse off after the pool/beach?

I live close to the Cape (very S. Plymouth) and lots of people do have outdoor showers as we are close to the beach too, but I thought it was just so you didn't bring sand into the house (or to rinse off chlorine if you have a pool). We don't currently have one, but have plans to add one on in the future. By accident one of our outdoor faucets is hot water (plumber messed up) so we thought it would be really easy to add an outdoor shower at that location.
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

I grew up by the Cape too and loved our outdoor shower!!!! I love going to my parent's house and using it and have gotten the boys hooked on it also

The house we stay at on Nantucket has an absolutely gorgeous one ~ all cedar and has 3 shower heads. Perfect for a couple
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

We have one at our beach house. We used to use it, but had to take down the enclosure when we renovated the backyard/patio/pool. We are planning to put up a curtain/rod at some point to start using it again. It's actually a really nice feeling to shower outside!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by neeleymartin View Post
    realized when talking with my mom recently, that outdoor showers are a beach thing. i simply can't imagine life without one.
    We were just at a family reunion at the shore and were laughing about this. It is a shore thing, but is so nice!!!

We have an outdoor shower at the beach house we shared with my aunt and uncle and cousins at the NJ shore and we used it all.the.time. The house had 6 bedrooms and only one bathroom, so with 6-9 kids and between 2-6 adults showering after the beach every day, my aunt had the outdoor shower built after our first summer and I used it pretty much every day as a child. We were supposed to come home and head straight for the shower before even entering the house to keep the sand inside to a minimum.

I live in the same town as geochick now and I've never seen an outdoor shower here, but I don't think it's the cold that would keep people from doing it. It seems like they are limited more to beach towns. I agree that it is actually colder and more damp on the eastern coast than it is here.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

We have a friend that remodeled her house and put one in. It was really neat. Kind of a tropical oasis in her master bath. We, on the other hand, live in a new subdivision. I have xeriscaped, so reusing the gray water would be nice, but not practical for our home design. Also taking showers in 116 degree heat isn't appealing.

BTW this is the time of year, I am unable to take a cold shower because the cold water is warmer than my body temp. yuck!
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Mommie View Post
    Ok, this may be a silly question, but do you regularly shower outside when you have an outdoor shower (as in, get up in the morning, head outside for your shower) or are you using it as a rinse off after the pool/beach?

I live close to the Cape (very S. Plymouth) and lots of people do have outdoor showers as we are close to the beach too, but I thought it was just so you didn't bring sand into the house (or to rinse off chlorine if you have a pool). We don't currently have one, but have plans to add one on in the future. By accident one of our outdoor faucets is hot water (plumber messed up) so we thought it would be really easy to add an outdoor shower at that location.
    we use it as our sole shower. the indoor shower/tub does not get used when the outdoor shower is in use. not just to rinse after the beach.
    neeley

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We only use them when RVg. I use to rinse my feet, the girls get their "showers" with it. I would never use one at home, though. Too much work to drain in the winter, plus our neighbors would be laughing!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

My friend has one and she lives on the South Shore. She and her boys love it. She uses it when she is gardening.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast