SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Am I missing a pt'ing chance here?

I had not planned to even attempt pt'ing till 30 months but ds2 is now 20m and everytime he pees he immediately pats his diaper and wants a new one. It seems like there is a pt'ing opportunity there that I should be rolling with. Any thoughts? I'm not going to totally miss the boat and have to wait 3 more years if I chose not to pt now am I?

Beth

If he's showing that kind of awareness, it surely wouldn't hurt to keep a little potty around and see if he'll use it. If he has the desire, don't hold him back.

No pressure, just put the little potty out, and maybe encourage him to sit on it before bedtime, or whenever seems to make sense to you.

I also don't think you'll totally miss the boat, but it seems silly to keep him in diapers if you don't have to.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rprav8r View Post
    If he's showing that kind of awareness, it surely wouldn't hurt to keep a little potty around and see if he'll use it. If he has the desire, don't hold him back.

No pressure, just put the little potty out, and maybe encourage him to sit on it before bedtime, or whenever seems to make sense to you.

I also don't think you'll totally miss the boat, but it seems silly to keep him in diapers if you don't have to.
    My thoughts too. I think I'll get out the potty and just have it around. Can't hurt.

Beth

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes. I really do feel like this is your early opportunity. No you don't have to push it. I just incorporated it into "this is how we do it" , just like eating with a fork, putting our toys away etc. Accidents happen, you don't have to flip out about it, but nor did I ever say "its ok".

For me, PT early worked well. I just can't deal with the power struggles that often happen with pre-school aged kids.